14. Play as Saints

This was it.

Every moment, every action of every living or dead being had been for this moment, for this one important and crucial moment. Worlds destroyed, timelines altered and whole species massacred so that Gaster could once more walk free, no longer an invisible ghost, but embodied within a corporeal form that would walk and talk, breathe and run, spare and kill.

It had been a long strategy, a plan that had taken years in the making, but none of that mattered now for Gaster was free! Ever since he had first fallen into the Core in the original timeline, found himself stranded, alone and forgotten in the Void, he had hatched a plan so that he might once more achieve physical form.

And the plan had been set into motion when the painter first appeared in the Void, ripping out his soul in the process. From there on out Ink had become the perfect canidate, for the monster lacked a soul, an empty vessel in the making. Gaster had stalked the skeleton at first during Ink's venture in the Void, deciding on whether or not to establish contact. But when Ink had begun to fill himself with those false emotions, attempt to create substitutions for his missing soul, Ink was no longer an empty form, possessing some form of life no matter how small. But Gaster needed Ink emotionless, without a soul or anything in particular so that the painter could once more become the perfect vessel.

Much thought was put in, Gaster devising the series of events that would somehow put Ink into a position where he could no longer take the soul supplements, so that the painter could once more become a hollow shell and be his for the taking. And so Gaster had appeared to Nightmare and droven the anomaly to near insanity, guiding him through whispers and promises of how and when to act. Nightmare was to declare war on Ink and those that deemed themselves the multiverse's protectors. This would draw Ink onto the battlefield and thus put him in a vulnerable position, so was Gaster's motives.

There was also the question of how Ink would run out of his supply of emotion supplements. Gaster needed Ink to be confined to an area where he could not escape nor interact with any other living things. So Gaster had taken it to himself to delete [Y/N]'s timeline, a small unimportant world he had destroyed only for the reason to create an unescapable prison for the artist once he was captured. Gaster had not foreseen [Y/N] surviving, but that was just an unimportant, minor detail.

Once the opposition was assembled, once both opposing sides were engaged in battle, did Gaster command Nightmare to personally hunt down Ink and capture the painter. Once Ink was captured, he was thrown into the emptiless world that the skeleton and [Y/N] were in now, siting alone without any hope or deterance, slowly watching as his reserves of emotions and traits burned away, leaving behind nothing but a hollow shell.

But Gaster had wanted more than just Ink for a vessel, he had also wanted power. And that power lay within the fiery determination that blazed within the human [Y/N]'s soul, a soul he wanted to absorb when he finally took over Ink. Not only would he return to the mortal world in a new vessel, but he would return in splendor and grandeur as it was always foretold, the god that was heralded throughout all of time and space.

So Gaster had pushed around some more strings and made it so that [Y/N] would be captured and brought to Ink's prison at the moment Gaster was about to possess the empty and lifeless painter, so that in a deft motion, he could snatch the human's soul and gain the power boost.

And then he would leave this dead world and return to the mutliverse, return to that damned doodle sphere and use his newfound power to overwrite everything in existence, delete every timeline until there was only a single one left. And then he would alter the code of that timeline, create the perfect universe with the perfect ending. Because if Gaster could do it, if he could create the perfect ending in the main universe, than the human would never again reset and thus no more universes would be created, no more alternate realities.