Chapter 15: Impossibility

They walked silently side by side through Saint-Michel. Instead of getting to know one another and to become comfortable, they were scouting. They needed to decide where the barricades would be and Enjolras figured a walking with his wife would draw attention away from him. An older couple and a young girl approached them, the woman wearing a sicky smile on her face. Caoimhe looked up at Enjolras, stopping abruptly which forced him to stop. He looked down at her with worry and then looked up, seeing the family approaching them. He began to look around, noticing other characters lurking around. His face became cold and unreadable.

"Hello, Monsieur. I was wondering if you could spare a sous for my poor wife and I... We have children who are starving and my wife... She is sick with the cholera!"

The woman coughed into a ratty handkerchief, causing Caoimhe to grimace. Then she realized who these people were. It was the Thenardiers and the Patron-Minette. She had wondered when she would see "the Master of the House" and his "charming" wife. Quickly, she interjected before Enjolras could speak, "Unfortunately, Monsieur Jondrette, we have nothing. We're just careful with out clothes. In fact, we're on our way to some bourgeois place. You see, there's an interesting way to scam people... If you let us walk free, I will give Eponine the details so she can start doing."

Thenardier raised a brow as did Enjolras, "How do you know me? And how do you know Eponine?"

"I've met Eponine a few times here and there. She described you and your gang rather well."

"Then you will do well to tell me what it is you do."

"Turtle doving."

"What?"

"Turtle doving. I pose as a maid and slip into the house, stealing little things like jewelry, gloves, handkerchiefs. Whatever I can hide on me."

Thank God "Gangs of New York" is on TV a lot... She thought. It sounded pretty legit. However, it would work differently in Paris given most houses being apartments. Thenardier exchanged a look with his wife, as if looking for an indication of her knowing anything. Caoimhe cleared her throat, "Monsieur? Is it okay if we go? I can explain the details to Eponine... I believe she and Azelma would be quite fit for the job."

"What's your name, girl?"

"Caoimhe."

"Caoimhe.... I'll remember you. Go on. You better keep your word or else we'll find you."

Enjolras didn't seem to take kindly to that threat, "You better forget her or else it won't end well for you, Monsieur."

Thenardier looked amused, "I would be careful if I was you, Monsieur Revolutionary. Yes, I know who you are, I see a lot. It would be a shame if someone were to whisper to the police about your and your friends... And I suppose your little turtle dove as well."

Caoimhe  grabbed Enjolras's arm, seeing the anger on his face. "We're taking our leave."

The two began to walk away, but not without hearing Thenardier call after them, "Remember! All it takes is one little whisper!"

Enjolras looked angry and usually, when he was like this, Caoimhe would just let him vent or leave him alone. However, she felt now was not a good time to do that; she knew Thenardier was a snitch and did not doubt Enjolras knew it too. They walked on in silence until it occurred to her that in the movie, the Musain was the location of the barricade, but in the book, it was the Corinth. She doubt Thenardier would know they met at the Corinth. 

"Alexandre?"

"What?"

She tried ignoring his irritated tone, keeping her own tone calm and measured, "I know where we can build the barricade."