Chapter 19: The Barricades

Everyone could see the look of horror on Enjolras's face as the figure on the barricade gave out a bloodcurdling scream. They all surged forward to yank who they presumed to be a child off of the barricade, but the figure fought them off, taking out their gun to shoot. Enjolras successfully grabbed the individual, the shot being wasted in the air. He knew it was her. She struggled in his grip and he recognized his old clothing. Someone forced the pistol out of Caoimhe's hand as Enjolras carried her into the Corinth and set her down. She was crying hysterically, "Those bastards! You were going to exchange you prisoner for Jehan! Why would they shoot him knowing we had one of theirs?!" 

Enjolras removed her hat and brought her into his chest, letting her sob into it. This was why he didn't want her at the barricade; he wanted to spare her death and the deaths of others. When she finally calmed down, he gripped her shoulders and looked down on her face with anger, worry, and yearning, "Why are you so stubborn?! I told you to stay home and here you are!"

"I said I would stay by your side!"

"I didn't think you meant like this! Caoimhe, you don't-" They heard Gavroche yelled outside.

"Liar! Good evening Mr. Inspector, lovely evening, my dear. I know this man, his name is Inspector Javert! So don't believe a word he says 'cos none of it's true. It only goes to show what little people can do!"

He immediately released her and ran outside, taking out his pistol. She followed after him, standing back. Courferyac and Bahorel had Javert restrained

"Bravo, little Gavroche, you're the top of the class!" exclaimed Courferyac.

"So what are we going to do with this snake in the grass?" asked Feuilly.

"Bind this man and bring him to the tavern and there, the people will decide your fate, Inspector Javert!"

"Shoot me now or shoot me later, every schoolboy to his sport! Death to each and every traitor, I renounce your people's court!"

Javert wouldn't go down without a fight. He managed to throw off Courferyac and Feuilly, but began to scuffle with Enjolras. Caoimhe rushed to his side just as Javert punched him in the face. With expert precision, she kicked him hard in the groin, sending him to the ground and giving the others enough time to bind him. She got a few shocked looks, "What?"

She turned to Enjolras and gingerly touched his jaw, "He punched you a bit hard."

"Yes, for an old man."

Caoimhe laughed, "And yet he landed a punch on you."

Enjolras rolled his eyes, but promptly released his jaw and wrapped his arms around her, "Please, go home."

"Not until I know you're coming home."  

  "Enjolras! They're charging the barricade!"  

They heard the shoes of the National Guard march on the pavement. There was a moment of silence before they heard someone beyond the barricade yell, "Charge!"
Shots began to ring out. She watched Les Amis and those who decided to join them climb the barricade and begin shooting, bodies began to fall. Her heart was racing so fast that her chest hurt and she could barely breathe. Her entire body was numb and cold. Her stomach felt like it was about to empty itself of its contents. Then she saw Enjolras nearly get shot, sending her over the edge. She took the gun of one of the fallen men and climbed, shooting a man. Her face contorted in horror as she watched her bullet rip through him and he fell. In her moment of distraction, she hadn't seen a guard taking aim at her.

"Caoimhe! NO!" 

She felt arms pull her back and a shot ring out, a stinging sensation in her arm. The bullet merely grazed her and she saw the soldier who shot her fall to another bullet. Enjolras looked down at her, his eyes filled with fear. She had never seen him so scared before. Everything was such a blur. She could make out Marius climbing the barricade and grabbing a gunpowder keg. A National Guardsman took aim and a man cried out, taking the gun and averting the shot to himself. Eponine.... "Don't shoot or I'll blow the barricade!"