Chapter 20: Let Others Rise

"But I'm sure I instructed that the gunpowder be moved into the cafe. Caoimhe..."

"The men didn't seem so fond of taking orders after it was Caoimhe who suggested it."

"That's ridiculous. What she said made sense."

"We know this, but keep in mind some of these men aren't exactly forward thinkers."

Caoimhe crept down the stairs, suddenly feeling guilty. Combeferre and Enjolras looked worried and frustrated, yet here she was. A woman on the barricade adding to their stress. She walked towards them, clearing her throat, "It's why I posed as a man."

Enjolras sighed, "We'll announce to the men that the ones with families, people dependent on them, should leave the barricade. This is our final stand; I will not have their families robbed of their main source of income or a father. As for the munitions, we need someone to perhaps try and gather it from the dead."

"That's suicide, Enjolras!"

Caoimhe's eye caught little Gavroche listening in. She knew exactly what he was thinking. Perhaps, she could have some sort of impact. Just as Gavroche was about to turn around and leave, she called after him, "Gavroche!"

He stopped and she walked towards him, "What do  you need, Madame?" 

He was grinning, full of pride. Caoimhe placed a hand on his head, "I need you to do something of importance. There is a message I need you to deliver to Madame Houcheloupe at the Musain."

"But, Madame! I have something important I need to do!"

"Please, Gavroche? It's extremely important to the cause!"

Gavroche sighed in displeasure, "Fine! Only because it's important!"

"Give me one moment. Can you read, Gavroche?"

"My mom and dad tried to teach me, but they didn't really care that much. I can read my name."

Caoimhe found a quill and paper, quickly writing the letter and folding it up. Enjolras and Combeferre gave her a confused look as she rushed to give it to Gavroche. Once she had it ready, she handed it to him, "Head straight to the Musain. Do you hear me?"

"Yes, Madame!"

He scurried out the door of the Corinth and Caoimhe sighed, leaning against the wall. 

"What was that about?" asked Combeferre.

Caoimhe smiled, "I was trying to get him away from here. You know he wouldn't have left even if we told him. So I tricked him. The letter instructs Madame Houcheloupe to lock him in my old bedroom without the window until the fighting is over."

"That's a cruel trick. He might never forgive you."

"But, he'll live. That's what's important to me."

They went outside to observe the status of the barricade. It seemed that the loss was certain. It could be seen on everyone's faces. Their cause was lost. Enjolras cleared his throat, "Listen, everybody. We must have faith. However, I will not force anyone to stay at this barricade. Those who stay must be prepared for death. As you may all know, much of our gun powder and munitions were damaged in the rain, putting as at an even greater disadvantage. I would like to use this opportunity to allow all of those who are the head of their households or have dependents to leave. It will do no good to the people you love to push headfirst into your possible demise. There is no guarantee you will live."

Very few men left. None of Les Amis, not even Marius left. Not even Jean Valjean. A young voice called out, "Do you hear the people sing, singing the song of angry men?"