Chapter 4 Half-Breed

Author's Note;

Like, comment, and/or Vote. ENJOY!!!! This is a short Chapter, by the way. Sorry. be updating it in a few seconds

"Thomas, Report what you saw today?" a voice said from behind me. Looking up from my computer, Ari, my Uncle, mentor, and master stood in my doorway waiting for me to respond.

"Ari? What are you doing back from the Mediterranean?" I said in shock, remembering that he was supposed to be there for another week for his studies. Giving me a kind smile he stepped further into my room.

"A couple of hours ago, I came back early and was in meeting with the other Elders." His one eye squinted as he smiled. His right eye had been damaged decades ago from a fight that he won't tell me much about other then it was with an enemy back when he was a young man.

Looking at him over, his short, medium brown hair and one long braid that flipped over his shoulder never changed. His style of clothes looked more summer with a silk navy blue button-up shirt and gray khaki pants. He looked like he had also gotten some color on his pale skin from his trip.

"I'm glad that you came back alright. It seems that people from that area aren't too fond of our kind there. I hope everything went well for you." I said, trying to keep my voice pleasant. The last thing that I knew Ari needed from a long trip was someone of hot-tempered attitude.

"Oh it went smoothly; you forget that we blend in better than that of other creatures. Nothing went wrong," he smiled while adjusting his black, leather eye patch.

"That's good to hear."

"So, Elder Robert said that you saw something while you were at the fishing docks today?" he asked again. How could I forget what happened? It's the first time I ever have seen such a rare sight.

"Yes sir, I saw this net wrapped tightly around this poor fish by the edge of the dock, but it was strange looking so I figured it shouldn't have been caught, so I cut the net and that's when I saw a mermaid," I explained calmly and Air's eye widened in surprise.

"A mermaid? Are you sure?"

"Positive," I pressed. I know for a fact that I wasn't seeing things. She was real, as real as me, the air, and the wind. I know what she was. "She had short brown hair, blue eyes, and her tail was kind of seafoam green.  She looked exactly like how the elders described them in their stories." While I continued, Ari smile began to look blissful. Looking more pleased then that I've seen in years.

"That's wonderful. I was almost certain that the humans had them extinct. And to find out that one is still alive is a great find!"

"Why would they be extinct? What purpose would the humans want with them?"

"Humans used to hunt mermaids for shows for they're aquariums. Selling them at the highest prices for a prophet and personal gain. Some would kill them thinking of them as lesser beings. That they were just fish. Some would experiment with them. Dissecting and ripping them apart for study uses. I heard that they were either dead or in hiding. Oh, what a joyous day to find out that they're still out there," Ari praised happily. Feeling pleased to have found something so rare made me express the same joy as well, but anger still lingered inside. If I wasn't there to set that girl free, what would have those fishermen have done to her?