Chapter 13 Half-Breed

Working on the finishing touches. remembering that i have one more day to work on the locator device. Just applying the waterproof canister and then a test run is all that needs to be done.

"Did you get a container for that, or are going to magically make that thing water proof?" Coburn asked leaning over the table watching me work. though i wasn't looking at him, i could hear the crunch of him taking a bit out of an apple.

"No, i'm just going to throw it in the ocean and hope for the best," i said sarcastically, reaching into my pack and pulled out a waterproof canister that's used for rafters. "I picked it up yesterday when i was in town," i explained and went back to work.

"Nice," Coburn breathed, taking another bight of his apple, leaning over my shoulder to see my work. "So what else needs to be done with that thing before you finish?" he spit some apple chunks on my shoulder.

"Just need to solder a few more wires together then put it in that case," i said, whipping away the food chunks off my sleeve. finally getting the hint, he moved across the table instead of being right behind me, looking over my shoulder.

After awhile, putting the device together, and doing a trial run, it automatically connected to me phone through text message. It worked.

"Alright, finished!" i called out.

"Finally!" Coburn called out all the way from his basement lab.

"I'm going to toss you one, okay?" i called out, looking down the hatch to see him working in his lab.

"Alright, ready," he said, waiting for me to drop it. I tossed it down to him just as it almost hit him in the face, but he fumbled with it enough that he dodged it's impact.

"Put it in a tank of water to simulate the ocean. I'm going to head into the forest. hit the green button in fifteen minutes, alright?"

"Roger that Captain," he saluted me and disappeared into his lab.

Running into the forest, made sure that i was in deep, out of cellular range. After a few minutes, My pager buzzed. I looked at it and smiled as it read, "I'm here." Feeling over joyed,  i ran back to the house. Once I was back in range,  i texted Coburn.

"It worked, heading back now." After a short minute, Coburn replied. "Awesome. can you make lunch now??"

i rolled my eyes. how could he think about food at a time like this?

Once back inside, i saw Coburn popping his head from underneath the floor board hatch. "Food please?!" he said in a pitiful way, making his dark eyes big and sticking out his bottom lip. i rolled my eyes.

"I'm not a nymph, dude, that look doesn't work on me," i sighed jokingly, turning towards the kitchen, I felt hungry myself.

"Maybe, but nymphs can't cook like you do," he laughed then disappeared back into his lab.

Rolling my eyes, i scraped out what was left in his fridge. running low on a lot of food, i just stuck with Mac and cheese mixed with a can of chili. I'm not in a big mood for cooking and this is usually my go to meal when i don't feel like cooking.

After finishing, i placed all its contents in a glass bowl and handed it down to Coburn in his lab. Feeling him take it, i let it go and propped myself against the wall next to the hatch to eat.

"Chili and Mac'n cheese again?" i heard him wine. i chuckled.

"If you don't like it, don't ask me to cook," i laughed, eating my lunch.

Hearing him set down his bowl, he popped his eat out from the floor boards, placing his head on his folded arms. "When do i get to meet this water maiden?" he smirked playfully. i just rolled my eyes.

"I don't, shes shy just being around me, i don't know if she could handle meeting more people right now." i explained honestly. she seamed so scared just seeing me at first. I don't know how she could handle meeting others.

"Well, after she gets used to you, bring her on by to my place. I'd like to meet her."

"Shes from the ocean, dude. How do you expect me to get her over to your house when you live twenty minutes from the ocean. he could dry out before i get here," i explained with concern. 

"I can think of something. Just once you feel that she's ready, let me know, you know i cant leave the forest," he said enthusiastically. i nodded.

I would like for him to meet her, but only when she is ready. Coburn cant leave the Forest, only because he doesn't want to. He had lots of costumers who comes to his little house for elixirs and potions, so he doesn't like not being home when people come by. He gets paid for they're services and he pays me to get supply's. I'm pretty much his designated grocery boy.

"What did you have in mind?" i asked, taking another bite of my food. Coburn scratched his head, pondering over his plans.

"Well, i can help put a tarp over the front seat in your car and make a seat like tub to fill up with water to put her in until she gets her. Then you can carry her in the house where ill have another tub of water for her."

"Okay, but what about afterwards? She lived in the ocean. Wide open spaces. I cant just confine her to a tub in your living room." i sighed, setting my bowl down. i heard Coburn chuckle lightly as he went down the ladder, back into his lab.

"I've been working on a device for the Centaurs , Satyr's and Nymphs to blend in with the other humans, so they're are not just confined to the forest." He called out, hearing him dig through a bunch of stuff, i peaked my head in his lab, watching him rummaged through his things until he pulled out a small, white box. Like something for jewelry, and handed it to me.

"Its a charm that can mask any deformities to the humans. Giving us Cryptids real looking ears, hornless or even human legs." he explained with glee. Opening up the small box was a pair of earrings. Small, sapphire studs. "These can make elf ears seam normal as well as hiding horns for the Satyr's. i have anklets to that can physically change legs appearance to look normal too."

"Coburn, you're a genius!" i shouted, putting him in a head lock.

"I know i am," he stated smugly,brushing his shoulders off in pride. "But i haven't tried it on a Mermaid yet, so i will need to test out the bugs but it should work just as good"

This is great! When she gets comfortable to travel, i could get the chance to show her my world. She could walk with me around town and try new foods and see new places. She seams curious enough, i think that she would actually enjoy that. I hope she'll like it.

Author's note;

Im going to end it here. So sorry for the long update for any of you who are reading this. I've been working on a fanfiction this entire time but now im back. I hope you like my drawing of Azuela and Thomas. I scetched this awhile back. About a year ago when i first started this book. I hope you like it. Until the next chapter Ya'll. Byes!

(Unedited chapter)