Chapter 6 Water Maiden

Author's Note

Here comes some more. Like comments and/or vote. Thanks and ENJOY!!!

Munching on a squid inside my small, secluded cavern by the shore. The small pocket or air allows me to sit on the dry rock, but the watery pool allows me stay wet and stops me from drying out. I don’t know what it’s about the dry land that I like, but it just gives me a relaxed feeling. Unlike the water where I feel free and fast in, but on land, I don’t feel like I have to look over my shoulder every five seconds for predators. Well, except for humans, but no one has ever when inside this cavern. Since in order for anyone to reach this place, they would have to swim fifty feet below the surface, then through a cave for twenty yards, then up ten yards to reach my cavern. Using a natural like source, I made a pool in each corner of my cave and filled them with bio-luminescent plankton, giving my cave a beautiful, blue starry glow.

It’s the perfect hiding place for me to hide from Marius. Not even Nixie knows about this place. I have kept this place my little secret, and plan on keeping it that way. A place of my own where I don’t have to worry about what Marius thinks of me, of that fact that even though I’m alone, I still live here. I maybe weak, but I did escape from the humans.

Humans. Who knows where I would be right now if that one human hadn’t helped me. I thought humans hated my kind? Hatred towards any kind that was different from them, so why would he help me. A mermaid, a siren as some may call me, so what would make him so different?

Thinking back, remembering looking up at his face that shadowed out the harsh sun from my sensitive eyes. Seeing his shaggy bronze colored hair spiked, as his dark eyes looked into mine. His face looked too shadowed out for me to see the color, but his face looked beautiful, kind even. Not like that of any human that I have seen before. Who was this handsome boy and why did he come to my aid? Didn’t he know what I was?

Finishing my squid, I made a choice. A choice that soon I would defy what Marius had ordered me to do. I need to know for myself. I have to find out if this boy really was kind or just like the others, and if he isn’t then I want to thank him. Though I know that if Marius had found out about my plains, I would most likely be beaten for the countless time, but I have to know for myself that there is still some kind of good left in this world. A good that can goes beyond Pods and packs, which can be past species and discrimination. Then maybe this whole I feel inside of me will finally be filled. That is, only if he is as good as I think he is. If he’s not, then I have nothing.

I have the sea creatures and one good friend, but my Pod, my family is seaming to be more on Marius’ side then on Nixie’s when it comes to be about me. An orphan, alone, maybe they think I should be alone. To follow in my parent’s footsteps as either getting killed or being kidnapped for only God know what. But I know they’re wrong. I know that there is more to me than being alone or death.

Even the smallest fish has a friend. Each mammal and every creature has a mate. My time will come soon for mine, but I know I can’t give up now. I must put Nixie’s words to heart. I’m not worthless or useless. I’m priceless, unique. I shouldn’t dwell in what Marius says to me. I will find my place and my place right now is to find that boy and thank him. I need to understand if there is good left for myself. Now all I have to do is to slip away from Marius and to find that boy.