Chapter 7 Half-Breed

Wandering the halls, I need to get out of this place for a moment. I’ve been cooped up in this mansion for two day and my room was getting to stuffy. I couldn’t get that girl’s face out of my head. Her bright blue eyes that mimic that of the waters from the tide pools. I want to see her again, even if it’s a slim chance, I want to be able to tell myself that I tried to find her. Though I can’t go into the water, not because it’s against some vampire law or anything. It’s just that if the mermaids are as vicious as the elder had told me, I don’t want to be in their element were they have the upper hand. Plus I’m not the best swimmer, go figure.

Once outside, I took in a deep breath and soaked up the sun shining on my skin. Another myth about Vampires; the sun does bother us but won’t kill us. It’s like as if we have the skin of an albino person. We burn easily unless we us lotions like S.P.F 100 or walk around with an umbrella or something like that. But since I’m a half breed, the sun doesn’t bother me as much as the others do. In fact, I’ve been told that even though I’m still considered pale, I’m the tannest one in my clan.

Tugging on my short sleeve, I headed towards the docks that were only about a two mile walk from my house. Though from the outside, we have advertised our home as a small, live in hotel.  On the account that we have over forty people living they’re with me, including seven families; we have eight Elders, twelve mentors (who are the ones who teach the young-lings), eight women, twenty one men, fifteen children and two orphans. As well as the guest that come to stay for vacations and other reasons, so I would defiantly call that a full house, and for that reason, one of many, I need to get out of there.

Walking alongside the water’s edge close to the docks, I squatted down closer to the water, scanning my fingertips against its surface. I wonder if I’ll ever see that water maiden again. I would like to see her. To see those blue eyes, that curly hair, that soft, shy side that she has briefly showed me before she tried to attack me.

If at any means necessary, I will come out here every day for however long I need, just so I can be sure I did everything I could to try and see her again.

          * * * * * * * *

Sitting at the water’s edge, leaning up against a big pine tree, beginning to understand why people come to this place so often. Breathing in the salty sea air, the warm late winter breeze brushing against my face. It feels so serene, peaceful. I think I could be a fisherman if it wasn’t for that fact of my lack of swimming lessons and for being who I am.

But despite everything, I can still relax. I’m not fearful of leaving the hotel any more like I did when I was a kid. Being afraid that what they did to my dad would be my same fate as well. But as I got older, I realized that I didn’t care anymore. Why should I hide the fact that I’m myself?

A glimmer of splashed water caught my eye. Turning towards the docks, I thought I saw something blue just flipped on the waters’ surface. Getting up off the ground, I moved swiftly along the sidewalk towards the docks. Coming up to the edge, leaning over the side, I couldn’t see anything. Was I just seeing things? I don’t think so but who knows, maybe I’m just going crazy or something. Reaching into the water, nothing stirred other than the water its self.

A flicker of something white reflected against the water, leaning in closer, a face emerged from the water. Hearing startled screams, hearing that one of those screams belonged to me, I stared at her face.

“It’s you,” I breathed, leaning in closer but she flinched swimming back underneath the docks. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you,” I quickly apologized. She seems to have softened after I had said that. Giving her a smile, still trying to keep my distance, I sat up. “Can you meet me over there by those clusters of trees? It’s not really safe here for us when were so close to the humans,” I explained. Giving me a questionable look, she nodded then disappeared in the water.

Still on the docks, I was taken away. She actually came back. Back to the same place where she was almost taken by the humans, where she could have been killed. But why? Did she come back to find me or was my timing just that good? Whatever her reason maybe, she’s back and I couldn't be happier.

Getting up off the docks, keeping my eyes peeled for any wondering eyes, no one seems to have noticed. Good, that’s how it should be. I finally got to see her, and I don’t want to ruin it by letting a human find out about her existence.

Heading towards to trees, I still can't believe in how human she looked. At least her upper half. Minus her fins on her forearms and the slight discoloration  on her skin, she could pass as human if no one looked to close at her. With her short, shoulder length, curly brown hair and bright, sky blue eyes. She looked kinda pretty, cute even.