Chapter 8 Water Maiden

Waiting at the shore behind a tree’s base, I can’t believe I’m actually here right now. Actually this close to talking to the one who saved me. Oh god! If Marius finds out that I’m here, he’ll kill me for sure. The beatings were nothing if he knew how often I actually come to the shore.

Sliding off the rock, I heard some rustling from the trees. Instinct, I tried to flee.

“Wait, please don’t leave,” his voice said, looking over my shoulder, he looked startled as he emerged through the trees. What is it to him anyways if I stay? Does he want to talk to me to? Has a question like I have for him. “Please, I have some questions I would like to ask you. Could we talk for a bit?” he looked so gentle and careful. Watching him slowly, moving closer to the rocky shore. He seemed to be keeping his distance, cautiously approaching me as he sat down on a boulder about three yards away from me. Hands folded nervously on his lap, his dark eyes stared back into mine. The sun’s rays peeked through the dense trees, shining on his pale skin. Making him look that much more mysterious and unreadable.

“Do you want to be here? Talking to me, I mean?” he asked cautiously, slightly leaning in with his soft gruff voice low so only we could hear. I nodded, but said nothing, not yet anyways. He smiled happily, gesturing if he could sit closer. Allowing him, his scooted on bolder over, now bringing him a little less than two yards away. Sitting more into the water, my skin was starting to feel dry, so I splashed a little water on my arms.

“Can you speak?” he asked and again I nodded. “What is your name?”

“You first,” I said quietly, not even sure if he heard me. He smiled, looking very pleased that I could talk.

“It’s Thomas.”

“Azuela,” I said a little louder, and his dark eyes lightened up. He seems to have a warm glow as he stared back into my eyes. Feeling them to be too powerful, I looked away.

“Don’t look away, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable,” his voice sounded apologetic. Feeling his stare, I had to look up.

 “You didn’t. I’m just not used to this,” I confessed, but instantly wished that I didn’t.

“Used to what, talking to someone who lives on land?”

“No,” I sighed but continued. At least someone seams interested in what I have to say. “I’m not used to talking, period.” His eyes widened in surprise, leaning in further.

“Really, how is that? You have a beautiful voice.” He said and instantly he stopped and his face turned red as I felt mine heat up as well. “Um, so what brings you to the land?”,” he changed the subject, with I was very much appreciative, though I don’t really want to explain myself when my savior is sitting right in front of me.

“I—I just wanted to see for myself if your intentions the other day were really good,” I finally said after a short time, keeping my voice really low. His dark eyes widened, as he raised an eyebrow.

“Intentions?” he breathed, seeming like he didn’t fully understand in where I was getting at. “When I cut you out of that net?”

“Yeah, y-you weren’t there to kill me or to sell me, were you?” my voice sounded so frail to my ears, I had to look away from his curious eyes.

“God No!” he said sounding irritated, it surprise me so much that I actually jumped. “Azuela, when I first saw you, I thought you were some kind of shark or an injured fish. I didn’t think that you belonged tied up so I cut you lose. That’s when I realized in what you truly were, and then you scratch me and left so quickly, I didn’t know what else to do,” he finished, I could tell by the way he spoke that he was telling the truth.