iii. let the game begin

CHAPTER THREE.
[ iii. let the game begin ]
/ IRL & TEXTING /

     EVERYONE STARED AT him in confusion. "What?" Sophia asked as she stepped closer to him.

     "I saw this in a game once," he explained as he moved towards the kitchen table, Wyatt's voice getting softer.

     "In a game?" Gaten questioned, almost shocked.

     "Yes, yes. In a game," he stated quickly. Wyatt grabbed his phone from his pocket and quickly started typing. "This." He stuck his phone in Jeremy's face, making the boy flinch. Jeremy took his phone and stared at it in confusion. "I think this mark means, we have one life. Like, we're in a game." Wyatt's breathing got heavier as he finished explaining. Everyone looked at each other, confusion written all over their faces. "It's about these avatars and they all have multiple marks on their arm. However, we only have one," Wyatt paused and looked down at his wrist.

     "Keep going," Caleb rushed, eager to hear more.

     "Okay so, I think the game and this situation we are in, have something in common . . ." Wyatt trailed off. Jeremy examined the phone and slowly handed the phone back to Wyatt, traumatized.

     "The main avatar signs up people and they all have to follow these certain tasks. If they don't . . ." Jeremy trailed off.

     "Then they die," Sadie finished in disbelief with a gasp.

     "Bu-But this, this is different. Like, I don't think we are gonna be doing objectives like the game. I think it's gonna be more modernized," Wyatt explained, getting anxious.

     "What's the game called?" Maddie questioned, intrigued.

     "Online," Wyatt said, leaving everyone speechless. "I never played it myself, personally, but I heard it's a very long and tedious game."

     "Okay so, how do you win?" Finn asked, running his hand through his somewhat, tangled hair.

     "Till one survives," Wyatt finished in disbelief.

     "I-I don't like this," Grace shivered, shaking her head. Jack started laughing, trying to convince himself none of this was real.

     "No, no! This is all bullshit, okay?" Jack said as he started to back away. This can't be real, I'm not gonna die to this, Jack thought to himself. "I'm leaving right now!" He shouted as he ran towards the door, Maddie ran after him.

     "Jack no!" She ran in front of him, he stopped in his tracks. "If you go out there, you may die."

     "So what?" He chuckled before throwing his hands up in the air. Just then, Sadie heard her phone ding, indicating she got a notification. She ran over and grabbed it and stared at the message with fear.

     "G-Guys' . . ." She voice quivered. Sophia grabbed the phone with no hesitation, her eyes opened wide. Fear overwhelmed her but, she refused to show it.

     "Let me handle this," Sophia sternly said as she looked up from the phone to face everyone, they were all scared for their lives.