xi. sacrificing happiness

CHAPTER ELEVEN.
[ xi. sacrificing happiness ]
/ IRL & TEXTING /

     CHOSEN AND CALEB arrived back at Sadie's and they both opened the door, seeing the initial reaction of their peers shocked and relieved expressions. "You guys scared the absolute shit out of me," Finn sighed with relief as he walked towards the two and pulled them into a hug.

     "We're okay," Chosen added with a smile as Finn let go.

     "Did you kill him?" Sadie asked hesitantly, making Caleb shake his head.

     "I don't think it was him. It was one of his henchman or something. There's more people involved than we know," Caleb explained fearfully, making Grace gasp.

     "Okay so, we can't go out and sacrifice ourselves anymore, he knows what we are doing. We need to outsmart him to win," Jeremy explained as he tried to make sense.

     "And how do we do that?" Sadie asked, confused.

     "We actually do the dares," Jeremy explained, making everyone go silent.

     "You saw what happened when we did the dares. Look at Gaten, Noah, even Maddie!" Wyatt exclaimed with confusion and defense. "We can't keep hurting ourselves and other people."

     "Okay so if we don't wanna do the dares and we want this game to end, then what the hell do we do?" Sophia questioned, folding her arms.

/ TEXTING /

( to everyone )

unknown number
This is getting boring. We need to spice it up a bit.

unknown number
I'm gonna let you all on a little secret, you see the black, thick marks on your wrists? Those indicate your life. Whenever they fade, you lose the game. Whenever Sadie put in your names into the computer, I received all your information, including your body. Which means, I could kill you all in an instant.

unknown number
But I won't, for now.

unknown number
You all have one thing in common, you all are selfish. You hurt the people who try and be your friend, and you just leave him. He tries to be there, but you all forget about him. But you won't forget about him now.

unknown number
Let's do a round of hide and go seek. You have three minutes to hide. If you get caught, you die.

unknown number
You aren't allowed out of the house. Remember, I'll be watching...GO!

     Everyone's hearts dropped and stomachs turned as they started scattering all over the house, every man for themselves. Grace and Jeremy helped Noah up while Sophia helped Gaten.

     Caleb ran into a nearby room and slammed the door. He leaned against it, his heart racing. It was dark, and he was scared shitless. He started wandering through the dark room to find a light. God, I can't see in here, he thought to himself. Just then, he found a light switch and saw a familiar red head in the corner. "Caleb! Fuck you scared me," she sighed in relief as she ran up to hug him. He hugged back, smiling from ear to ear. She pulled back and her face dropped. "We need to hide," she whispered as she took his hand and went to the closet. She shut the door and boarded it shut, or tried to at least.

     "What's gonna happen to everyone?" Caleb asked in a soft voice. He swallowed the lump in her throat and felt his heart race.

     "I don't wanna know, and I don't wanna find out," she whispered back. Just then, they heard footsteps. She shrieked but Caleb covered her mouth in time. I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die, kept repeating in his head. He let go over her and she started shaking. The footsteps started to be louder and louder and you could see the shadow from underneath the door. Sadie's eyes went wide and shut them tight. Caleb took notice of this, he didn't want her to get hurt. The door knob started shaking, making Sadie almost scream. Caleb acted fast as he grabbed a baseball bat from the corner and stood up, ready to fight. Then, somebody started roughly banging on the door, trying to beat it down. He shook his head and looked back at the terrified girl, he didn't wanna do what he was about to do next.

     He opened the door, revealing another figure in all black. Caleb swung the bat, hitting the guy and making him wince in pain. Caleb took notice that the guy had a knife and needed to act quickly. The boy kept beating the man and it looked like he was winning. The man dropped the knife and kept getting beat with the bat. Caleb took a step back as he watched the man struggle. The boy took a glance at the girl, whose eyes were wide. "Caleb, watch out!" He whipped his head around and then felt a sharp pain in his chest, some pain that was unimaginable. "No!" He heard the girl scream.

     He felt himself getting weaker and his vision getting blurry. Sadie screamed and grabbed the baseball bat that Caleb had dropped. She started swinging and hit the man, tears falling down her cheeks. She beat him out of anger, out of sadness. She beat him with any energy she had left in her body.

     She killed the figure.

     Sadie ran over to Caleb, who was on the floor, bleeding out. "You're gonna be okay," she whispered as she sat down beside him. She ripped her shirt and placed it on the wound.

     "Don't even try," he managed to cough out. "Whenever you see Chosen, tell him I didn't suffer, okay? Because . . . I don't suffer when I'm with you." Sadie felt more tears sting her cheeks, but she just let them fall. She hated crying in front of people, but she didn't care.

     "This is all my fault," she cried as she applied more pressure on the wound. Caleb took his eyes off the emotional girl and looked up at the ceiling. He took one last smile before closing his eyes, and seeing darkness.

     Caleb didn't wanna take his life, he wanted to live more than anything. He thought he could play basketball and pursue the rest of his life making money off of it. He sacrificed his life not only for Sadie, but for Chosen. He knew about Chosen's crush and that it was Sadie. He knew they had a better chance of getting together than him and her. Maybe, if they both got out alive, they would get together. He died for his best friend's happiness, which cost him his.

CALEB REGINALD MCLAUGHLIN; PRONOUNCED DEAD ON JANUARY 19TH, 2018 AT 5:35 P.M.

CAUSE OF DEATH: STAB WOUND

—————

YALL IM SOBBING !1!1! YALL PROB HATE ME OOF. I THINK THAT'S HIS MIDDLE NAME IM NOT SURE. SO IF IT ISNT, TELL ME PLEASE :)