III. Hospital

We got to the hospital and I didn't even wait for Simon to stop the car, I just opened the car door and ran inside (I swear I haven't run that fast in the last ten years). I almost ran into the hospital doors that were automatic stupid slow doors. 

"Hello, can I help you?" The girl at the front desk said as I practically plowed into the front desk. 

"Yes *breath* I *breath* am looking for my father *breath* Don James?" I said as I bent over and put my hands on my knees. Yes, I'm not in shape. I'm not skinny. I don't like running and running doesn't like me.

"Are you a family member?" she asked as she raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, I am his daughter; May James."  She started tapping on the keys of her pretty large computer and just then Simon and Brittney ran in.  "This is my brother and sister."

"Your father is in room 176, down the hall, fourth one to your right." She said as she leaned back in her chair and pointed to the hallway. 

"Thanks." and I started sprinting down the hall. Simon was ahead of me, he had always been faster than me. He was more in shape because he plays a sport. Our footsteps pounded on the too-white tiles and I'm pretty sure we sounded like a bunch of elephants.

Simon stopped at the door and knocked and he tapped his foot and didn't get an answer. He opened the door slightly.

"Dad?" He said as he slowly stuck his head in the space between the doorway and the door.

"Mmm." It was like a grunt and I could sense his pain and my heart dropped. Simon walked into the room and I followed with Brittney right behind me.

"Hey." I said in a quiet sweet and innocent whisper. I noticed his leg was in a cast and his other leg was being elevated in one of those fancy things that hang from the ceiling or something. His right eye was swollen almost to the point where it was shut and was so black and blue that some of it was purple. "How are you?" I said as I took his hand. 

"I'm doing well. I want to get up and walk around but they won't let me."  That was dad always wanting to keep going and never give up. His perrogative was that he needed to be strong for us kids; he knew that we needed him and vice versa. 

"Dad, no walking. You would probably fall over." I smiled and I noticed that he had oxygen tubes up his nose. I hated seeing people like this. So fragile and vulnerable looking. It makes me wonder how many people already have seen my dad looking like this.

"Where is Shelly?" Dad said, eyes getting droopy.  Simon put his hand on my shoulder and Brittney was standing in the corner looking down at the floor. Brittney was never a big fan of my dad for the past 2 or 3 years. 

"She's coming." When I called her on the phone she said that she was just running out of work. I didn't even think she told her boss but the thing is her work needed her so they couldn't very well fire her. 

"Good." And then sleep tried to grasp him in their warm, comforting arms. 

"Hey dad, I just want to let you know that I love you." Dad looked at me with a confused look.

"I love you too." He said and a smile appeared on his face. I heard a slight knock at the door and turned to see Shelly slowly peeking her head in.

"Hello?" Shelly whispered, and then when she saw my dad, her fiancé looking fragile, I swear I saw tears well up in her eyes. I turned back to dad and he had a smile on his face.

"Hey baby." He said. Mine and Brittney's noses scrunched. Let's just say we both aren't big fans of Shelly's.

"Hi, how are you doing?" She said in one of those fake calm whispering voices. She went on the opposite side of dad that I was on and grabbed his hand. He slowly turned his head to face her.