Prologue Part 2: Children

My sisters and I attend the same college, but we usually drive separately due to varied schedules and class times. My classes were fairly simple and easy.

Because most of my general education classes go in line with my desired major, I am left with a very open schedule. So between my required classes, I'm taking workshop and culinary arts for the fun of it.

I've got people to talk to each class, so schools never been boring. Although, if Andrea found out what I talk about to my friends, she would have a field day with all the possibilities she could tease me with.

Actually, does she even know I have friends?

Scratch that, if Andrea ever found out I had friends, she would have a field day with all the people she could make fun of me with.

I hear my professor make his closing statement and I get up to leave. I was halfway towards my car before realizing I still had to drive Andrea and Silica to the mall.

Tch, damn.

I enter my car and recline my seat. It's going to be another hour or so before Andrea and Silica finish their classes for today. Eh, might as well relax till then.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇ ◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

...When they said they were only going to buy a few things, I should've asked their definition of 'few'. Cause right now, I feel like I'm carrying a mountain.

Between my arms is a massive stack of cloth and crafting supplies. The mall didn't have any bags or carts freely available unless you have already paid. Andrea went off to another store to buy who knows what, so I am left with Silica inside a ribbon and fabric store to act as her pack mule.

"Silica, are we done yet?"

Silica runs her hand through a sheet of colorful fabrics.

"Not yet Iriko, I'm still trying to find the perfect materials to use for the dress"

She picks up a roll of cloth and places it on top of the pile I'm carrying.

"Silica, are we done yet?"

"No Iriko, we're still not done yet"

She picks up some thread and needles and places it on top of the pile I'm carrying.

"Silica, are we done yet?"

*Sigh* "No, Iriko, we're not"

She picks up a hat, put it on, and places it on top of the pile I'm carrying.

"Sili-"

"Yes Iriko, yes. We're done"

Silica picks a bundle of ribbons and places it on top of the pile I'm carrying.

I call bullshit.

"Si-"

"Iriko. Shut it. Go to the counter and pay for all this"

She hands me her credit card before leaving the store and sitting on a bench outside.

Was she seriously going to leave me here and pay for her stuff? The line to the counter is long. Considering the rate the other customers were moving, it's going to take at best twenty minutes to reach the register.

Goddammit, Silica...

After paying for the monster that Silica had created, I leave the store to join her on the bench. As I pass through the front doors, I notice two children -- a boy and a girl, no more than fourteen years old -- sitting cross-legged against the flat of a wall. Their clothes were ripped and dirty; mismatched patches of fabric were crudely sewn over the tears.