Prologue Part 3: A Belief Until The End

On the drive back home, I just couldn't stop thinking about that woman. I was so angry, I wanted to punch that woman square in the face. But then I would have to deal with assault charges. Again. She's not worth the hassle.

My mind drifts off to the children, Emma and Charlie. At the time, I genuinely wanted to help. But as I think about it, was it really a good idea? What if it was just a made up story? No, don't think something like that. I would rather have them lying through their teeth than to be in that situation. Besides, my biggest problem right now is how to explain to mom about the one thousand dollars expense. She might just ground me again or dock my pay.

I slump deeper into my seat with a heavy sigh. Oh well, this just means I won't be eating out anytime soon.

I notice Andrea whisper something to Silica before leaning in towards me from the passenger's seat.

"Hey Iriko, knock-knock"

...?

"Uh... who's there?"

"You" She replies. Where's she going with this?

"Andrea, what?"

"Iriko, you're supposed to say 'You-who?' and then I'm supposed to reply with some sort of cheesy punch line"

Oh, I see what they're doing. They probably noticed me being unusually quiet and now they're trying to lighten the mood.

"A-alright, you who?"

"The joke's already been said Iriko, nevermind" Andrea leans back towards her side. This time Silica speaks up.

"Hey Iriko, turn up the volume would you?"

She reaches forward and plugs the aux to her phone while I turn up the volume. It's the same rap song Andrea played earlier.

"Haha, alright alright. I know what you guys are trying to do"

Silica and Andrea grins.

"I'm fine. I was just a bit triggered is all"

"Juuust making sure Iriko~"

Silica sat back, her job was done. We continue the drive towards home, listening to the abomination of a song the whole way.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇ ◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

"Mom we're home!"

I shout as the door swings open. It's obvious that I was in some sort of fight as my chest is cleaved and my clothes all torn. Mom's going to kill me if she saw how I looked. So we decided that it is best for mom not to see me until I stage an accident to explain my wounds.

We have a fairly small house. The front door leads directly into our living room that connects to the kitchen and the stairs to the second floor. My mom's in the kitchen preparing for dinner. If I manage to get to the stairs I'll be home free. Literally.

We walk towards the stairs while I hide behind my sisters.

"Welcome ba-"

She paused. Not a good sign.

"Iriko Vanres. Come here"

Shit.

I look to Andrea and Silica for help but they disappeared. The sound of a door closing can be heard upstairs.

Note to self; my sisters are cowards. I gulp and walk towards my mother. She has a stern look on her face, her arms crossed as she closely inspects my current state.

"So... can you tell me why exactly your clothes are torn up? "

"This? It's nothing. I just fell down some stairs and got all scratched up"