6| Carnivorous Plant

During my mission to search for food, I find a river not far from my previous location. Because of my current state, moving carefully is necessary to avoid being seen by potential predators. I was lucky enough to survive the snakes, but if another animal comes and attacks me, I won't stand a chance.

I'm covered with gunk from the leeches, so after scanning the area and making sure it's safe, I enter the river to clean myself. My face contorts in disgust as the slime peels off and becomes swept away by the current.

Earlier, while I was wandering around the forest, I was worried that my wound might turn infectious, so I wrapped a layer of leaves bound by loose vines around my wound to act as a bandage. Now that I'm in the river, the makeshift bandage became untangled and loose from being wet, so I just ripped it off.

Now that I'm clean, I leave the river to dry by laying on top of a large rock exposed to the sun. The heat that radiates from the rock feels really nice.

While laying on the rock, letting the warm heat soak into my body, my eyes grow heavy and I feel myself drift off to sleep. Just then, the recurring pang of hunger pierces me, jolting me awake and reminding me of my original objective. I'm getting real tired of this feeling.

All of a sudden, I hear a thornbush shake. Panicking, I roll off the rock to run.

"P-pefu"

Wait. Pefu?

When the thorn bush shook, I thought it was going to be another black snake. Upon closer inspection however, I see the outline of a horned rabbit trapped within the branches. Was it the same creature that I saw before? No, it couldn't be.

I dismiss the thought, just what are the odds.

The horned rabbit is completely ensnared within the branches. It's brown fur struggles and tugs against the thorns as it fights to get free.

Just how did you get stuck in the middle of the bush to begin with?

The first horned rabbit I saw ran off before I could get a closer look at it. But now that one is still, I get a clearer view of its features.

Apart from the deer-like antlers on its head, it has long ears and a fluffy coat, basically the features of an ordinary bunny. It's my first time seeing a jackalope, well, it's technically my second. I've heard rumors about them but I didn't think they were real. Go figure.

"Pefu!"

The rabbit struggles more frantically against the bush when it noticed me. The increase in effort only served to further entangle it. Part of it's body is bleeding from the thorns cutting through its flesh.

It's really stuck in there huh? There's no way it could escape on its own. Such an easy target too...

Upon seeing me approach, the horned rabbit acts more hectically. There is an audible sound of fur tearing from its effort.

"Pefu! P-Pefu!"

Crouching in front of the horned rabbit, I bring my claws forward. The rabbit's movements freeze as my hand nears it. It looks at me with large frightened eyes. Then, I raise my arm and slash down. The branches in front of me fall.

The moment the rabbit feels the branches trapping it slacken, it darts away, running some distance before it stops and turns around. We exchange stares as we make direct eye contact.

I don't know what that rabbit is thinking, but I would guess it's confused as to why I just freed it.

The line is broken when my hunger decides to pierce me again. I grimace and turn away to continue my search for food.