5| Snakes and Leeches

The excited hiss of the snakes grows loud as they continue to corral me toward the edge of the ravine. I don't dare try to turn because the moment I do so, I will be caught by one of the snakes above, and I'm fully aware just how swiftly they can descend from the treetops.

The ravine is getting closer, and soon, there'll be no place left to run. I have to think of something soon before I run out of land.

Making sure that I don't trip or run into anything, I observe the pursuing snakes above. They aren't swinging from branch to branch as I thought they were. Instead, they're using the tips of their tails to jump between the trees like a pogo stick, except more horizontal.

This gives me an idea, albeit a dangerous and reckless one. It involves baiting the snake directly behind me and hitting it with a surprise attack. So far, the snake has been jumping whenever it goes in for a bite. It can't turn easily in the air, so that's when I'll land in a blow. Otherwise, it might be able to dodge it.

Barring the fact that I could possibly miss and fail, the single biggest problem I have are the other two snakes. In order for this plan to work, I have to time it so that the snake attacks just as the two snakes jump to the next tree. If I mess up the timing, they would quickly descend and its game over.

Still, even if I'm able to pull off such a risky maneuver, there's no telling if it'll work or not. All I know is that I'm not going down without a fight.

I reduce my speed, giving the appearance that I've hit my limit, slowing down just enough so that the snake gradually closes the distance, but fast enough where it still needs to run at full power.

While watching with a meticulous eye, I bring myself perilously close to the snake behind me.

Strike. Don't strike. Strike. Don't Strike. 

My thoughts flash in tandem with the movements of the group, hoping that it decides to act and don't act as the opportunity comes and goes.

"Skaah!"

With a loud hiss, the snake lunges for my tail precisely when the two snakes above leap to the next tree.

Perfect!

Quickly, I push off the ground and turn abruptly, swinging my fist straight into the head of a surprised snake.

"Skaaa!?"

The snake flies back and crashes into the trunk of a tree. The snakes leaping above didn't expect my sudden change in behavior and ended up jumping an extra tree ahead, giving me more room to act than anticipated.

With the snake on the ground dazed, I move in to pummel it with all I've got, but when I grabbed its body, I was surprised to find that the snake is not heavy, but instead much lighter than I expected.

Hmm, I wonder...

Just as the other two snakes drop down from the trees, I grab their downed companion's tail and lift. By the time they return to my location, I was swinging the first snake around my head, twirling it around like a flail.

The snakes gape at this spectacle. It must be weird seeing their fellow comrade being used as a makeshift weapon. Well, I doubt they see that I'm using it as a weapon, more like I'm just spinning it around.

"SkAAaaAAaaAAA?"

My flail hisses as it twirls around and around. By constantly spinning it, I prevent it from retaliating. Now it's just a two on one. I feel cruel for doing this, but it is a matter of life or death. Forgive me, Mr. Snake.

The snakes are hesitant to advance, as if they are unsure of what to do. After staring at their helpless, spinning friend for a solid minute, one of them finally decides to act.