Chapter 11

**Time skip**

Today was the day of the third and final task, which the champions were already told would be a maze. Harry didn't understand how dangerous this could be, he knew it wouldn't be a regular maze since it was supposed to be the most difficult task, but he didn't know how bad a maze could get. 

As for Hermione, she had been reading past tournaments and had seemed quite concerned for Harry's safety. Even though they were still just friends, they both knew they had deep feelings for each other, however neither acted on how they felt because they had wanted to keep their friendship. Neither of them had said this aloud to the other, though with their close bond they always knew what the other was thinking, so they knew anyways. 

At this moment, Hermione was in the stands with Ron and Ginny, who'd been slightly annoyed at the fact that both Harry and Hermione would do anything to ignore how they felt about the other. 

Though all of those things hadn't mattered now because Harry was entering the maze, and Hermione had feared that it may be the last time she may ever see him. She started replaying the memories she had of him. 

She remembered when they first met on the train. Looking back on it, Hermione thought she had made a terrible first impression, but then she remembered how he risked his life at only eleven years old for her, so it couldn't really have been that bad.

Then, of course their was second year, which Hermione would never admit aloud, but this had been the year she fell for Harry. Or simply had a crush as they were twelve. She fell for him as time passed, as they grew older and went on more adventures together. 

Hermione had remembered first liking Harry when Ginny had brought him up and said she had a huge crush on him. In response, Hermione nearly exploded. She remembered how badly she wanted to reach for her wand and hex her into oblivion. Hermione had been so relieved when she found out that Ginny now started to fancy Dean.

****

30 minutes had passed, and Hermione had started falling asleep on Ron's shoulder, but was rudely awakened by the sound of blaring trumpets. 

"Harry did it, Hermione!" Ron yelled in excitement and the crowd started to cheer. However, Hermione knew that something wasn't right, so naturally she took a few slow steps forward. 

At the closer look, Hermione realized that Harry was clutching on to what seemed as Cedric's lifeless body. 

"HARRY!!" She screamed and ran forward only to be stopped by Mad-Eye, who had been surprisingly calm after the death of one of his students. 

The crowds cheers turned silent, and I could hear Amos Diggory crying once he had realized what was happening. 

"I couldn't leave him." Harry said in tears as Dumbledore tried to calm him down. 

"Harry, go with Professor Moody until we get this situation under control." Dumbledore said and then turned to Hermione. "As for you Ms. Granger, I will walk you back to your dorm where you shall not be disturbed." 

She was in much too shock to speak, so she nodded instead of saying anything. 

---

During the walk down the corridors, as Hermione was approaching the Gryffindor towers, Dumbledore stopped her. 

"You've spent a great deal of your time by Mr. Potter's side this year, Ms Granger." He said "I know how great friends you are, but--" 

Dumbledore was cut off by a teacher yelling for him. 

"Headmaster! Mad-Eye isn't who he say he is!" he called down the vacant corridor "It's Barty Crouch! He used Poly-juice potion and kept the real Mad-Eye prisoner!" 

Barty Crouch? Hermione thought to herself. Why would Barty Crouch pose as Mad-Eye?

Dumbledore turned to look at me. He was the most worried I'd ever seen him before. "Due to unfortunate events, I'm afraid I have to go." He said "But as the situation is too dangerous for you to be alone in the castle at this moment, it seems as if you'll have to come with me." 

Before Hermione could answer, Dumbledore took her hand and apparated with her into Mad-Eye's office. (Hermione was surprised, as apparation within Hogwarts grounds was impossible, but considering Dumbledore was the headmaster, she figured he must have a way around it.)

What Hermione saw next, she'll never forget. 

Someone had been chained to a chair, while Snape pointed his wand at him. Harry was in the corner, looking as if the man had just attempted to kill him, which Hermione thought could've been very likely considering his past and all. 

When Harry locked eyes with her, however, he had somehow managed to get to his feet and rush over to Hermione. 

"Hermione, are you all right? What are you doing here?" he asked, pulling her in for a hug. However, before she could say anything her emotions got the best of her and she started sobbing into his shoulder. 

"Th-This tournament was always supposed to be dangerous, b-but not be-because the Dark Lord had--" 

"Shhh." He said cutting her off "We're both fine. Right?" 

Hermione shook her head. "He's back." she said "Voldemort is back."