Unspoken goodbyes

The next morning brought no difference between Arnav and Khushi, as she went on to get ready without waking him up for his morning jog. Arnav himself didn't appear upset about this as they sat at the breakfast table. 

Once they were finished, Arnav cleared his throat to gain everyone's attention. 

"Nani, I need to go to Agra for a couple of Days. I'll be leaving in the afternoon from the office itself. And Di, can you all manage to go to the function without Khushi today. I'll be needing her help to pack."

After yesterday's phone call, Arnav couldn't let Khushi out of the house, especially not when there was no information about Shyam's whereabouts. 

Khushi looked at him hurt, he was back to chaining her in the house like before. 

Meanwhile, Nani and Anjali frowned at the news.

"Chhote, jaana jaroori hai ka? Aur agar hai, toh aap Khushi bitiya ka bhi aapan saath hi le jaayien. Aap logon ki nayi nayi shaadi huyi hain, aur ee tarah nayi dulhan ka chhod kar jaana sahi nahi laagat hai."

(Chhote, is it necessary to go? And if it is, then take Khushi along with you. You got married recently, and leaving a new bride like this isn't right.)   

Nani voiced out her concerns and her son and granddaughter nodded in agreement.

"But Nani, what will Khushi do there. I'm going there for work, not some kind of vacation. Why would I take her there? she's my wife, not my employee to join me on business trips."

Arnav immediately refused, the reason why Arnav had decided to go for the meeting himself rather than sending Aman as planned was to escape Khushi. Her emotionless eyes and ignorance had started eating his insides and he couldn't go on like this. he needed time away, away from everything, to get back his sanity.

"That's right Chhote, she is your wife, your better half. Business meeting, family function, or a vacation, she can accompany you anywhere. Khushiji, you tell him, how can he just leave you and go, it's hardly been a month since your wedding"

Anjali seemed adamant, like her Nani as she looked towards Khushi.

Khushi who had turned her eyes towards her plate, no wanting to display her pain at the restrictions being forced on her, looked up hearing her name. She felt her palms sweating as the family looked at her expectantly. She knew they had her hopes pinned on her, but even she wasn't too eager to spend any time alone with her husband of six months, moreover in an unknown city.

"Di, hum kya kahe? Arnavji sahi toh keh rahe hai. Woh kaam ke liye jaa rahe hai. Hum unke saath jaa kar kya karenge? Upar se humara, Dabba service bhi bas abhi abhi hi shuru hua hai, aise mein agar hum chale jaayenge toh who kaun dekhega? Shaadi koi zanjeer toh nahi hai, jisme bandhe rehna paddhe. Hain na? "

(Di, what can I say? Arnavji is right. He's going for work. What will I do there with him? Moreover, I just started my Dabba service, if I go now then who will take care of that?  Marriage is not some sort of chain, that ties you down. Is it? )

While Nani and Anjali nodded, understanding her reasons, Arnav looked down realising the hidden taunt in her words.