Cracks

The hospital room was thankfully a large one due to the VIP status they had in the hospital. Nani and Mami sat in the chairs near Anjali who was still unconscious while NK, Mamaji and Akash sat on the sofa with Payal sitting on a chair near her husband, all unaware of Arnav standing just outside the door for the past hour. Anjali's doctor had been visiting every 15-20 minutes and assured them that she should be up soon and her vitals were all looking good. On their last visit, they were sure she should be up before the next and the 7 minutes had passed like weeks for the Raizadas, but the next minute they were rewarded with the relief of Anjali slowly opening her eyes and looking around the room. Once in control of her body, her hand immediately moved to her stomach where she noticed the absence of the bump she had gotten used to in the last 5 months.

Seeing the fear in her eyes, Nani quickly held her hands and blinked at her in assurance while the doctors showed up. 

"Doctor, my baby?"

Anjali questioned her ob-gyn still unsure, her breathing slowly getting a little heavier. 

"Your baby is fine. Premature birth, but everything's fine. Now, I just need to check your vitals."

The doctor quickly introduced her to her Maternal-Fetal doctor and left the room.

Once the new doctor finished checking up on Anjali and instructing the nurse on further action. Then he looked at her with a polite smile and once again reassured her about the child.

"Ms Raizada, you went into labour early after you consumed an excess of your blood pressure-regulating medicine. It was a tough fight, but eventually, both you and your child, your son to be precise made it through. He was born at 31 weeks, 18.5 inches long and weighing 1.8 kgs. His organs aren't fully developed yet, so he will have to stay in the NICU for quite a while, but despite the numerous complications and pre-term delivery, your son is quite the fighter, I must say. From the looks of it, he should be just fine and ready to go home before your original due date. As for you, your surgery was a major one and you will take some time to recover. You cannot get up from this bed for at least the next 6 hours and I'll be checking up on you every hour."

Once he was finished with the instructions, he moved out of the room and talked to Aranv about the same after leaving.

After a few hours of regular check-ups and giving Anjali the description of her child the best they could, the family was now quietly seated in the room while the doctor finished his 4th check.

Once he left, the nurse turned towards them to inform them that visiting hours would be over soon and only 2 people would be allowed to stay past that. After a quick discussion, Mami and NK decided to stay while the rest decided to leave after visiting the baby once more. Once Manohar opened the door, Arnav, standing leaning on the opposite, did not have enough time to completely slip away from Anjali's fleeting glance. 

Her eyes remained trained on the shadow of figures that she made out from the translucent glass on the door.  While Payal and Akash couldn't wait even a second before walking off, she could see Nani talking to him and patting his shoulder before leaving and her uncle who always gave the man a cold shoulder also nodded at him before leaving. Looking at this scene, she couldn't help but fist her hands as she recalled the events of the past few months. 

After the day of the robbery, once admonished, Arnav had vanished without a trace. For months they got neither a call nor text. While usually, the Raizadas would've gone into utter panic at such an instance, his actions had hurt them so much they felt a sense of relief not seeing him around. Nani was the only one who eventually broke, and one night broke down in tears, worried for him. Akash was then forced to contact Aman who only told them that Arnav was fine and that the former was with him. He also informed Akash that the office was in an absolute mess because of the lack of any authority figure in the past few weeks. Hardly any employ showed up on time that is if they actually did come if they actually did once the news leaked that ASR was gone for a long time. Motivated by this news and his past efforts towards the company, Akash took hold of the reigns assisted by NK after discussing with the family. She herself had to reassure him that while ASR did create the company, it wouldn't have made it without his blood, sweat and time and he deserved to stay there regardless of who ran it. While the others accepted Arnav' absence easily, Nani still couldn't get past it. Although a little irritated by this, she couldn't ignore the old lady's feelings who could only remember the young boy she raised and saw her daughter's image in.