Chapter 36

Maddy's POV:

Kate and Liam had Lilli today, leaving me baby free and with a chance to work for once.

I hadn't spoken to Liam much since the day he lay his hands on me. I hadn't told anyone either -no one but Lola, I hadn't spoken to her in a while and I figured it was a good way to reconnect but she just distanced herself more.

I pulled my overalls over my clothes and stepped back outside. "Mads." Ross grinned, seeing me bend over the front of a car and leaning into its engine.

I turned around, looking back at him. "So we're talking now?" I questioned.

"Come here." He ordered, glaring into a car motor of his own.

My foot tapped, I didn't want to do as he said but I did want to hear what he had to say. "No." I replied.

"Madeline Kingsley." He said with a smirk, stating my full name. "If I ever met anyone more stubborn I'll eat my shoes."

"Look in the mirror." I retorted.

"At least come check this car?" He sighed.

I rolled my eyes, pushing the pram back over to the front of the driveway. I forced the wheels against the stones but they refused to meet together in a smooth way so I pulled it into the corner before rushing up to see him.

"Make it quick." I said.

"I'm sorry." He stated.

"For?" I smirked, crossing my arms.

"Everything." He sighed.

"And how exactly did your kitchen get into such a mess?" I laughed.

"I was angry."

"About?"

"That doesn't matter." He sighed, shaking his head.

"Okay so what about the car then?"

"There's nothing wrong with the car, I'm a better mechanic than you." He scoffed.

"Hardly." I replied.

"How about we settle this over a drink?" He asked, placing a hand on my waist.

Swiftly, I grabbed a spanner off the tray Ross was working with and drawing it up to his face. "Hands off." I snapped.

"I don't get you." He scolded. "One minute we kiss and the next you're threatening me with a spanner?"

"Correction, you kissed me and the only spanner around here is you." I hissed, catching the attention of one of our other employees.

"Inside." He ordered, dropping his tools so we could be alone.

"No, I have to get back." I said.

"Maddy, don't think I won't use force." He said.

"Wow, what was I thinking going for your lovely brother when clearly you're the romantic one?" I gasped, placing a hand on my heart before dropping my sarcastic smile and turning by back on him.

Ross's hand latched on to my bicep, dragging me into the office, tightening the more I fought against him.

He shut the door, standing in front of it. "Why are you so scared of having a life?" Ross asked.

"I have a life." I stated.

"One you'll enjoy."

"I love my life, with Will." I replied.

"Liar, you know what you want, why won't you let yourself have it? Why don't you give me a chance?" He questioned.

"You don't mean that, you don't want a chance." I sighed.

"What if I did?" He questioned, taking my hand. "What if I wanted that more than anything?"

"Ross don't, don't put me in the position where I'm going to have to push you away again." I pleaded.

"Then don't push me away." He said.

"Ross stop it! How many times will our friendship survive this?" I shouted. "It's better this way."

"For who?" He snapped. "Because I sure don't see any benefits."

"Ross." I sighed.

"Your way, as usual." He sighed, leaning back on the desk.

"My way?" I questioned. "Dumped, abandoned, left, babies? I had to drop out of college for this. You think that's what I wanted?"

"Okay." He said. "I'm sorry."

"Stop apologising." I ordered.

"I have to." Ross replied. "Because I can't stand the thought of you being mad at me."

"Then maybe you should bite your tongue when it comes to talking about things that make Will want to kick your teeth in?"

"Is it what you want?"

"It is." I answered.

"Then okay." He said. "You won't hear anything more from me, anything serious anyway."

"Thank you, now let's get back to work, shall we?" I questioned, walking out of the office.