Chapter 47

"You never said it was your birthday?" Ross questioned from behind me as I examined the engine of a black Toyota.

"Well I didn't realise I needed to tell you every detail of my life." I said, switching between tools.

"Bet I can guess which gift was your favourite then?" He smirked. "My d-"

"Will's romantic dinner, actually." I cut in. "Before you staggered home and ruined it all."

I felt Ross's hands on my hips which spun me around. "You can understand how I'd find it hard." He said.

"What we did was wrong Ross." I stated.

"Then why did it feel so good?" He questioned, his hands tightening on my body, his head tilting down and his lips connecting with mine.

Lilli began crying from her pram in the corner, waking up from her nap.

I pulled away from Ross, unstrapping her and picking her up which didn't make her stop, her screams only grew louder.

"Lilli, shhh, please."

"Very professional." A man said from the front of the garage. "Bringing your baby to work."

"Well you're hardly responsible, after all you did crash your car." I snapped back.

"Don't think I'll be coming here again." He said.

"Like we need you, look around, we're swamped." I stated.

"Maybe you'd get through some cars if you came up for air." He hissed.

"Listen mate-"

"Ross just get his keys." I interrupted him before he'd say something that landed us both in trouble.

"Which?"

"White Mercedes." I replied.

"Girls car." Ross said as he walked into the office before returning a few seconds later with the keys.

The spoke for a few seconds, exchanging business whilst I continued to get Lilli to quieten down.

"Let me." Ross said, holding his hands out.

"I don't need your help." I snapped.

"Trust me, I'm helping myself. Much more and my ears'll start bleeding." He said.

I handed Lilli over to him and he rocked her softly, just as I had done accept this time she shut up.

"She hates me." I huffed, walking through into the office and sitting on my chair.

"She doesn't hate you." He said, following me.

"Ross she prefers you to me."

"If it makes you feel better, shes the only one that likes me." He said, handing her back to me.

"That's not true." I said.

"Oh yeah, who else can you think of?"

"Why do you always assume nobody cares about you?" I questioned, furrowing my brows.

"Because they don't." He replied.

"I do!" I exclaimed, waking Lilli again however she did not cry, instead she tangled her finger in my straight brown hair that fell over my shoulder from my ponytail.

The phone rang loudly in the office, I reached for it, Ross's eyes watching my every move. "Go work." I ordered him before picking up.

I spoke to the person on the phone who was calling about their car which they needed urgently.

"It'll be done within the hour." I promised, hanging up and scribbling down in the notebook. Lilli began crying again.

I walked out to the pram to see I hadn't packed any bottles. "I know, you're hungry." I sighed.

"Why don't I take her for some fresh air? Like to the park or something? You can work here, nip home and get some bottles and all that good stuff." Ross suggested.

"You mean, leave you, alone with Lilli?" I questioned.

"Do you think I'm going to crush her with my bare hands?" He questioned, looking at me with confusion and amusement. "I'm not a complete monster, you know."

"Okay." I said, strapping her into her pram. "Please be careful."

He laughed. "Mads, you can trust me." He said.

"I know." I said, meeting his eyes. "I trust you."

"Good." He said, taking the pram and wheeling it out of the garage.