Prologue: Loss in the Springtime of Sakura Petals..

Years and years ago.. in another Dimension..

Okita Souji opened her eyes, lying upon the old bamboo mat.. her blankets shifting off of her as she awoke to the smell of fresh food being cooked.

Smiling.. the samurai sat up.. yawning. 

She pulled on an ordinary kimono, pink and light brown in color and walked into the living room of the small old Japanese home..  where her Foster Sister knelt at the low dining table.. breakfast already set..

"Did old Man Yamato's wife bring us breakfast again?" said Okita, as she straightened  up her bowl of rice, kneeling down. 

Mikoto Misaka smiled, her chestnut colored hair went well with her sky blue kimono. "Yeah.. he knows I can't cook well, and you tend to sleep in sometimes due to all your duties driving you to work so late.. so... I think they try to help us wherever they can because of that.. eheh. "

Together, the two foster sisters clasped their hands together and bowed her heads, saying "Itadakimasu.." 

As they dug in to the food Okita smiled at her sister. 

Mikoto Misaka had been found abandoned in the street at around 4 years of age.. it had been at that time the Souji family had taken pity on the little girl.. and raised her along side Okita, who was older by 2 years. 

But ever since their parents died at an early age, Okita had taken to raising Mikoto on her own.. not that she needed to do much, Mikoto was a highly independent person.. being the top of her class in Kendo, and well on her way to joining the police force which Okita was captain of.

"You hear about all that stuff happening in the Americas?" Mikoto asked as she continued to eat,. "Steam engines.. weird motor vehicles? I think it's kind of crazy.. to think things can move without horses. "

"I do think it's interesting, but I'd rather focus on the hear and now.. the duties to our country as skilled swordsmen must be taken into account." said Okita.  "You understand?"

"Right right.. you're telling me that every day ya know.. preaching to the choire. " said Mikoto cheerfully. 

Okita chuckled and ruffled Mikoto's hair with a hand. 

"Hey.. stop it!" Mikoto stammered with a laugh. "Honestly, I spent ages getting this hairdo right, don't ruin it!"

"You're such a bright young girl.. with such a bright future.. you know that right?" said Okita. 

Suddenly, there was a knocking sound.. 

"I'll get that.." Okita muttered, getting up and sliding the screen door open. 

A samurai was there, he got on one knee, bowing to Okita. "Ma'am.. I thought you should know, there's a disturbance in the town.. a few known bandits were recognized in the marketplace.. if we hurry now we can catch them unawares.. one of them is Kibito the Butcher.."

"Kibito the Butcher.." muttered Okita. "We've been trying to capture him for weeks..  right.. Mikoto, stay here and study your kendo.. when I get back we're going to spar a little, if you don't perform satisfactory skill.. 2 hours extra chores tonight.."

"AWWW come on!" Mikoto stammered. "I NEVER perform satisfactorily with you.."

Okita winked at Mikoto as she walked out and closed the screen door. "Better get practicing.. cause the laundry load tonight is PRETTY heavy.."

Mikoto pouted and stuck out her tongue at Okita as the door shut. 

Okita followed her fellow samurai down into the old Japanese floral garden next to the coy fish pond where another number of the police stood waiting.