The Fag Swag {20}

I moved to shove Kenneth away from me and run to Phil, but Kenneth grabbed my arm. “You’re with me,” he hissed, smiling pleasantly. “Now kiss me again.”

                “No,” I whispered, shooting him desperate eyes. “Please, no.”

                “I’m so glad you asked me out last week Nick,” Kenneth said happily, loud enough for Phil to hear. He moved down and forcibly kissed me.

                I looked back over at Phil and my heart shattered at the sight of him. He looked so hurt and heartbroken. The agony in his eyes was killing me.

                He dropped his head and shoved his hands in his pockets. He turned and slowly sulked off and out of sight.

                “Kenneth!” I cried. “Why did you have to do that?!”

                “Because you’re with me Nicky. I never stopped loving you. Now you’re going to pretend to be happy with me. And if you don’t, I’ll be sure to keep rubbing it in Phil’s face. I’ll make him feel like complete shit,” he said, grinning.

                “Leave him alone,” I begged. “He didn’t do anything to you!”

                Kenneth held his hand out to me and raised an eyebrow. “You know what you have to do, Nick,” he said smugly.

                I miserably took his hand in mine and walked him to his first period class. He kissed me deeply before smirking and disappearing into his classroom.

                I made my way to first period and silently sat next to Molly. She frowned deeply and wrapped her arms around me.

                “I can tell you don’t want to talk. When you do, let me know,” she said quietly.

                I gratefully hugged her back.

                The day crawled by until it was time for lunch. Molly and I sat at our table and I anxiously watched the doors in case Phil came out. I had to do something. I had to try to explain.

                The door opened and I grew excited. But my face fell when Angel walked over to us, Phil not in sight. He sat down next to Molly and gave me a curious look.

                “Have you seen Phil?” he asked, a little nervously.

                My face fell even more. “I saw him this morning,” I said.

                Angel sighed. “I saw him right before first period. He looked really upset. I’ve never seen him so upset, and I’ve been his best friend since we were two. I think he left school. I just want to know what’s wrong with him.”

                Oh my lanta. If Phil didn’t kill me, the guilt would.

                “Hey Nick.”

                I jumped and glanced at a smirking Kenneth. Molly glared at him and shoved me over to the edge of the bench. She sat next to me and put her feet up.

                “No room for you,” she said flatly.

                “Nick wants to sit next to me,” he said, setting his tray down and smiling at me. “Right, Nick?”

                “Molly, move,” I said silently. “Let me sit next to him.”

                Molly glared and stood up, shoving Kenneth back roughly. “Leave Nick alone. I know you have something to do with why Phil’s so upset,” she hissed, keeping her voice low so that Angel couldn’t hear her.