The Fag Swag {27}

“Dad!” I cried, rushing over to them.

                “Rick,” dad growled roughly.

                Rick, my dad’s best friend who was also a policeman, came over and grabbed me before I got too close. He dragged me away from Phil and dad.

                “Rick stop! That’s Phil!” I said, trying to get out of his grip. “Why is my dad arresting Phil?!”

                Phil glanced at me briefly. I saw shame and guilt in his eyes. He dropped his head, looking disappointed.

                Dad pushed his head down and forced Phil into the back of the cop car. My dad got in the driver’s seat and drove away from the gas station as people watched curiously.               

                “What the hell just happened?” I demanded.

                “Nick, I’m going to take you home now, okay? Your dad can tell you everything when he gets back. Don’t get mad at him. He’s just doing his job. That boy got himself into trouble. It’s not David’s fault,” Rick said.

                He placed a hand on my shoulder and guided me to the other cop car. We both got in and he drove me towards my house.

                “Is he in a lot of trouble?” I asked quietly.

                Rick shrugged. “Nick, you have to talk to your dad.”

                He pulled into the driveway and sighed. “Bye Nick. I’ll see you later,” he said, giving me a slight wave.

                “Bye Rick. Thanks for the ride,” I mumbled, getting out of the car.

                I let myself inside and went to my bedroom. I grabbed my phone and texted Molly for Angel’s number. She replied, and I called the number she had sent me.

                “Hello?” Angel answered curiously.

                “Phil got arrested,” I said flatly.

                “What? Nick? What are you talking about?” Angel demanded.

                “I was at the gas station, and I saw him getting taken away in a police car. I don’t know why,” I said. I didn’t feel like adding that it was my dad who had arrested him.

                “Oh shit. Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit,” he groaned.

                I heard someone yelling at him in the background. Angel sighed in annoyance.

                “Shut up mom! Phil got arrested! My language is the last thing I’m worried about right now!” he snapped. I heard him shuffling around and then the sound of a door slamming.

                “Nick, your dad’s the police chief. Can’t he tell you anything?” Angel asked, sounding slightly desperate.

                I shrugged helplessly, even though Angel couldn’t see me. “He’s not home right now, Angel. When he gets home, I hope he’ll be able to tell me what the hell is going on.”

                “Okay. Okay, I don’t care how late it is. The second you know something, call me,” he growled.

                I agreed and hung up the phone. I waited anxiously until, a few hours later, I heard my dad’s car pulling into the driveway.