Chapter 2: Growing up

"Yang, Ruby, Wait up!" I shout from behind them as we made our way up past a rock formation behind my house.

"No can do Ulric, we have places to explore and adventure to be had!" Ruby cheers from atop a rock as Yang cheers beside her.

"What's wrong are you too slow to keep up with us blue boy?" Yang adds in teasingly.

I passively glared at her from that old title as I heave myself up the rock. "Really were back to that name? And no it's because you're both not watching where you're going."

It's been a few years since I first met these two. Yang has started growing out her hair and maturing while Ruby has just started to open up more.

Suffice to say growing up with these two have been somewhat of a wild run. I can still remember some of the times...

"Ulric, you need to hold still or else it won't look good." Yang shouts at me holding makeup as ruby locks around my leg trying to keep me down.

"No way Yang I am NOT your test dummy and Ruby please let go!" I try shaking her off only to find she is rather glued on as I trip looking back at Yang in fear.

"Nice one Ruby." She says walking towards me with an evil grin plastered on her face. "Don't worry I've practiced Ulric. I'm going to make you shine."

I never knew horror until that day when I found a mirror 'shudder'.

"So where are we exploring this time?" I ask unknowingly of what cave or creek we will find next.

Ruby stands at attention and holds a finger into the air with authority. "As the leader, I propose this way!"

She points and rushes down the rocks as Yang charges after her leaving me behind in silence before I sigh.

"I guess some people never really change." I say out loud with a laugh following their lead.

We spent about ten minutes walking down the forest path when it leads us to a small pond. Ruby decided to chase after butterflies as Yang was looking for rocks to throw.

I in the meantime found a spot by the pond, watching them both with a smile.

"Well, I guess you lead us somewhere good this time at least Ruby." I snicker as she makes a pout that by God is too cute to be legal.

"Of course I did because I'm a great leader." She shouts earning a thumbs up from Yang as she found some rocks to skip.

"So how's your dad been, Ulric?" Yang asks in mid-throw landing 5 skips.

"Oh, you know still guarding merchants, fighting Grimm, the usual. How's your Mom?"

"Being super as ever, her cookies are still the best thing I've eaten!" Ruby says in response with a smile.

"You should come over again sometime for a sleepover blue boy." Yang adds in.

"The last time I did Yang you wrapped me in blankets and tried hiding me..."

"Ehh not my fault you were trying to rat us out." I can only sigh from this response.

Growl~