Chapter 6: A Heroes Trailer

Seasons have rolled by since my debut as a hunter. The island of Patch was in summer now as trees and flowers were in full blossom bringing with them the feeling of a new life.

Everyday felt warmer than the next under the bright sun, which wasn't bad if you were used to it here.

People were getting ready for this year's Remnant day festival, celebrating the day when art and color was saved by our forefathers.

It was probably one of the biggest events held each year, and from the amount of food and fireworks that people prepared they were ready and willing to celebrate that fact.

Even hunters were taking time off to go home during this time to celebrate with their families.

My parents included were helping Tai and Summer prepare a feast to commemorate the occasion. Knowing this I made sure to save room for more of his grill-styled cooking and Summer delicious deserts.

Classes were over now and for seniors like Yang and I we were preparing our next step and life by sending out our applications to the hunter academies for next year.

I honestly enjoyed these few years at Signal. Being able to grow and laugh with people I could call family was a treasured gift I would never replace.

So as I stare down an Ursa who was currently crushing down on my shield wanting to eat me as his next meal, I only had one question in the back of my mind as I protected a child who got lost from his parents.

'I better not be late and miss out on the food, or this beast would pay for it.'

Flash change scene

"Mommy!? Daddy!?" Cries out a child with tears down his face. Stumbling in the forest and evening sun as the trees whisper and bushes rustle.

"Where are you?!" crying out once more and again silence was returned, only leaving the sound of his tearful lonesomeness.

He wanders forward alone, defenseless, lost. His mother always told him not to go out alone, But he was too busy having fun on this day of all days to remember her words.

So now here he is wondering where to go and what else is out here. His voice hicks as he cries into his sleeve, staining it with salty water.

Suddenly from the bushes the sound of footsteps and twigs breaking could be heard. His eyes dart around looking for the reason.

Doom falls over him as shadows bend and warp in his view, his mind sacred for what's to come.

He shuts his eyes as the footsteps draw closer as he tries to stop crying. The clanging of metal echoed loudly as with each step it grew closer and closer until the sounds stop just in front of him.

"Hey now, we don't need to waterworks little one." He hears a new voice as an armored hand lands on his head softly stroking it.

He opens his eyes to see what he's seen in only picture books. A hero standing above him wearing a glimmering blue armor with a shield rested on his other arm.

The man kneels down to his face lifting the guard on his helmet to reveal blue eyes that spread calm and joy throughout the boys body.

"So do you have a name?" The person asks the child as he nods shyly.

"Noah..." is all that comes out as the man laughs.

"Well then Noah do you know where you live?" he asks as the boy begins to softly cry.

"I live in Shaleston, but my mommy told me not to leave the house." He tears up as he is talking. "But...but I didn't listen and now...now...im..wahhh!" no longer able to hold it he cries as the man rubs his chin.