~9~

“C’mon, sweet girl. Let’s let mummy sleep a little bit longer,” a deep voice whispered. “Let’s get some nanas, yeah? That sound yummy?”

“NANAS!” my daughter squealed, my eyes peeking open as she was hushed.

“Liam?” I mumbled, sitting up drowsily and blinking the sleep from my eyes. “Wh-What-“

“I’m just grabbing Lennox, beautiful. Go back to sleep,” he smiled slightly as he picked up the baby and settled her on his hip. As much as I wanted to protest, my head nodded on its own volition and I wriggled back under the covers, warm lips being pressed to my forehead as I drifted off yet again.

What seemed to be mere moments later, little chubby hands were gripping my cheeks and a sloppy kiss was placed on my lips followed by the small chiming laughter of my baby.

“Mowneeng, mummy,” she beamed, obviously proud of herself for attempting to pronounce such a difficult word. I cracked a smile and sat up, adjusting her in my lap to notice that she was dressed, her hair wet, and her diaper dry.

“Daddy,” she beamed, obviously catching my wandering eyes before she burrowed her face into my chest.

“Have a nice rest, darling?” Liam smiled from the doorway, a small tray in his hands. “We made you breakfast.” My stomach growled and I eyed the eggs and toast greedily, only then noticing just how little I had eaten since my rescue. The boxer eyed me sadly and sat on the edge of the bed, taking Lennoz from me and balancing the tray on my legs.

“Eat up, yeah?” he prodded. “I was thinking we can we can head to my house and maybe put together a room for you and the little one.” I tensed and shoved a bite of eggs in my mouth, eyes glued to the plate. I hated pity. I hated it. And I knew that that was exactly what I was getting.

“You don’t have to do that,” I mumbled. “I can figure everything out myself, Liam.”

“It’s not sympathy or pity or whatever,” he said seriously, his gaze intense. “I like you a lot, Brinlee. And…and I want to help you.”

“Liam-“

“Beautiful, I’m gonna be frank with you,” Liam said evenly, bouncing my daughter lightly on his knee. “You have nothing. No money. No family. Nowhere to go. You don’t really have any options, Brinlee.” I pushed my plate away and crossed my arms over my chest, lip quivering as I realized that he was right; I had nothing.

“I didn’t mean to make you feel bad, babe,” he commented quietly, eyes sad. “I-I’m just stating the facts here. I can give you a place to stay. I have a new house that’s much larger than my last and financially, it won’t break me to support you…to be honest, it wouldn’t even put a dent in me. It isn’t that big of a deal, Brin.”

“You struggled to provide for you and your sisters,” I said knowingly. “I don’t want to be a burden.”

“My situation has changed a-a great deal since you last saw me,” he said, his visage a bit hesitant. “I’m pretty well off.” I eyed him suspiciously but before I could comment, a slim body was barreling into the room, strong arms being flung around me and hugging me tight. I let out a yelp and stiffened, eyes welling up with tears when Liam barked out something, the person quickly letting go.

“I didn’t mean to hurt you, Brinlee. I-I’m sorry,” a soft voice said, my jaw dropping as I saw the previously small body of Macie now grown and looking quite a bit older.

“Macie,” I breathed out, my lip quivering as I pulled her back to me, hugging her tight. “Oh my goodness…y-you’re so big, darling.”

“I’m sorry,” she whimpered, tucking her face into my neck, her tears splashing against my skin making me frown.

“Why would you be sorry?”

“For getting you taken,” she sobbed. “It should have been me, Brin. I-It should have been me!” With that, she scrambled off of my lap and took off out of the room.

“Macie, baby,” Liam called after her but she was already gone, the young man sighing quietly.

“What’s wrong with her?” I said worriedly, brow furrowed. “Th-That’s not the Macie I left.”

“She’s been struggling with depression this past year,” he said quietly, avoiding my gaze and instead playing with Lennox’s curling hair. “She feels guilty for you being taken.”

“It wasn’t her fault,” I said quickly, my heart aching at his words. “I-I know I was angry in the beginning, but I’m glad it wasn’t her, Liam. She didn’t deserve to be put through all that. Besides, I have my little girl now…at least something good came of everything.”

“You didn’t deserve it either, beautiful,” Liam said softly, eyes imploring. “It’s normal to feel that you were to blame, but he was a sick man, Brin. He IS a sick man. None of it was your fault. If anything, it was mine, alright?”

“He’s my father,” I muttered. “And he had every reason.”

“We’re gonna have to have a talk about this later,” the young man said seriously, his brow furrowed. “I don’t like the way you’re thinking…but for now, get up, get dressed, and we’re gonna go shopping for yours and the baby’s room.” I nodded, at a loss for words as he picked up my daughter and left the room, silence permeating the air.

***

“Lennox, stop putting things in the cart, baby,” I sighed, taking the stuffed animal from her hands and setting it back on the shelf. She let out a small shriek and her lip quivered, fist rubbing at her eyes.

“Looks like my little angel is tired, isn’t she,” Liam cooed, taking the fluffy bear I had just put back and holding it to my daughter. “Someone needs a nap.” She yawned slightly and held her arms out to him, her small body being taken from me.

“Fish,” she mumbled tiredly, puckering her lips and smiling when instead, Liam gave her a small peck. She stuck her thumb in her mouth and cuddled the stuffed animal close, body wriggling to get comfortable against his chest.

“You’re spoiling her,” I pointed out, a quirky smile splaying across his lips at my words.

“She deserves every bit of it,” he beamed. “And I’ve tried to spoil you, but you’re stubborn, young lady.”

“I don’t want you spending money on me,” I huffed, shuffling over to the cart and steering it down the aisle, biting my lip as I caught sight of the small heart pendant necklace that was perched at the glass case straight ahead.

“You like the heart one?” Liam questioned softly, startling me. My eyes grew wide and I quickly shook my head, knowing he would buy the expensive piece in the blink of an eye.

“U-Uh no, I-I thought I saw someone I knew,” I lied, a small chuckle leaving his lips.

“You’re a terrible liar, beautiful,” he smirked, stalking up to the counter despite all of my protests. He laughed as I begged him to stop, quickly asking the worker to wrap the dainty piece.

“Liam, no!” I begged but he was already taking the small silver box with a purple bow, quickly placing it in the cart.

“You deserve everything, Brinlee,” he said, suddenly serious. “Stop making such a fuss and at least except this, okay? For me?” My cheeks grew red and I looked down at the white tile, my breath catching as his finger trailed lightly down my cheek.

“I think it’s time we head home, darling,” he murmured. My heart leaping into my throat. A home. An actually home. Not a cell or a storage container. An ACTUAL home.

“Yeah…I-I think we should go home,” I grinned shakily, biting my lip before throwing arms around his waist, trying not to jostle my daughter. “I-I want to have a home.”