Chapter 2: Willing

Hermione's POV

The great hall was filled with both new and old faces. The first years looked excited but they all seemed overwhelmed. It was my job to assure them that all was well and it would be an amazing year.

As I began walking towards the Gryffindor table, I felt a pair of eyes on me. Seeing the grey-eyed boy smirking at me, whilst Pansy Parkinson had her hand placed on top of his.

The thought of Pansy and Draco together made me sick, the two most ignorant and arrogant people to roam the school are now a pair. How wonderful, really.

I sat down next to Ginny as her eyes were glued to a piece of parchment she had in her hands.

"Is it from Harry?" I asked, she seemed a little dim – not something Ginny is usually described as.

"Yes, it is. Hedwig delivered it to me this morning, have a read." She said, she handed me the letter.

"Dearest Ginny,

The Minister himself has offered me a stable job at the Ministry of Magic. I am currently arranging my items into their spots in my office. With saying that, personal owls aren't allowed during working hours, and for me, that is all day. I won't be able to write as frequently as I used to, I hope you understand. I love you dearly and I promise when I get the time to write, I will without a doubt.

Enjoy your time at Hogwarts and send my love to Hermione.

Yours truly, Harry."

As I finished reading, I looked up at Ginny who seemed unbothered by the note. She and Harry were the strongest couple after the war had concluded, they both decided to not waste time and get together. However, months had past and relationships crumbled. We all believed after the war, everything would fall into place. But it hasn't. Not to mention the rumours that circulated the community about how 'The 'Chosen One' has been meeting in secret with the infamous Daphne Greengrass". Of course it was just rumours, but it had put a spect of doubt in Ginny's mind. I mean, who can blame her?

The ceremony was about to begin; everyone was so excited to see the new members that will be joining their houses.

The sorting hat ceremony had finished, and the feast had begun. After I ate, I got up and decided to go to the library, see the new books that they had gotten over the break.

•••

Hermione walked into the library and greeted the librarian with a smile.

As she was looking through some books, she heard a small chuckle come from behind her. She turned to see the arrogant, blond-haired male she was sharing a common room with.

•••

"Can I help you, Malfoy?" I asked, annoyed at his presence and of course, unnecessary chuckle.

"I find it fascinating really, not even a day at Hogwarts and you're already in the library." He smirked, walking towards me.

"Well, I find that you should learn to not follow me around. I rather not be seen acquainting myself with you." I began, turning back to the shelves and placing the book back.

He was now beside me, leaning on the bookshelves.

"Now, now Granger, I am only here to ask a favor." He began, his eyes glistened when I turned to him. This must not be good.

"Can you help me study this year, I need to do well. Last year I was so overcome by- um..." He stopped midway, knowing that it was a little uncomfortable for both of us. He was looking down at the ground, something I've never seen from Malfoy before; his façade had dropped, he has changed a little.