Chapter 20: First Move

I smiled at the polaroid picture in my hand. This was the last that Electric Love would be complete, as the two eldest members, Ariadne and Jenna had graduated two months ago. They wore their togas as they posed with us outside the AV hall.

"Hey, Clare. Are you going to continue EL with Lou and Szane?" Tanong sakin ni ate AJ habang hawak niya ang suitcase niya. I put the picture in my wallet and looked at her.

Today is the day she returns to UK.

"We've agreed to disband. It's not the same without you, ate." I hugged her tighter and let go, waving her off. "Boarding na, ate. Go off, meet your Phil. Keep in touch though!"

She slapped my arm as she embraced me once again before leaving for good. I watch the plane start to fly, a sad smile in my face as the plane begans to look smaller and smaller as it goes further into the sky.

I yawned as I straightened my uniform under my sweater. First day of senior year, and I'm here at six am para ihatid si ate AJ sa airport.

I then took a taxi to Graciello High, where students are already coming in for the first day of classes.

"Oh? J ang aga mo ah..." Ngumiti ako nang pumasok ako sa classroom namin at nakita si Jared na nakaupo na sa upuan niya, so I sat behind him.

"Good morning Avy..." He shyly smiled as he turned his chair around so he could face me.  "Ang aga mo rin."

"Hinatid ko kasi si ate AJ sa airport.  She left for UK." I held his hand in mine and massaged my thumb on his carpals. He flinched and became flustered. Ang cute naman. "Hindi ka sanay?"

He shook his head and I chuckled. Hindi pala to sanay na iba ang mag-first move. Ang cute... Baka naging torpe siya dahil doon. And what usually gives him a boost is some liquor, just like when he confessed and when I slept at his house.

He can't stop smiling habang tinitignan ang kamay naming dalawa. It fits perfect and seems natural, I like it. I like this.

Our other classmates start to file in, and we stop our actions, returning the chair back to its place. Natulog ako sa desk ko for another thirty minutes bago ako ginising ni Gab, who sat beside me, for the first class.

We hung out at a cafe after classes, and he kept on checking up on me. He made sure I ate lunch, dahil naubos naman ng syllabus at photocopy ang pera ko for lunch.

He still kept being flustered when I hold his hands, and I got fond of it in two weeks time. It was weird to think or to say that we're dating for real now, but I grew to get used to it.

After the first quarter exams, our department announced the annual science camp, a camp that I didn't join before because kinailangan na matulog ka sa school for two days, and my mom was reluctant. But as I said, I'm a senior, I am not a student of this school if I haven't experienced science camp. And so this year, I'm going.

"Avery, do you have your stuff ready?" Tanong ni mama as I hold the giant duffel bag in my arm and my stuffed unicorn in the other. Bigay yun sakin ni papa when I was in Grade 6.

"Ma, I said wala kanang propoblemahin. I got this." I kiss my mom goodbye as she drops me off in the school gate.

"Pinabantayan kita sa cousin mo, kaya huwag kang pasaway Clare Avery Sanchez!"

"Ma! Seryoso? Bye!" Tumawa ako sa kanyang nasabi bago siya umalis.

Nagparegister na ako at nilagay na ang stuff ko sa classroom, then helped set up the program with a few of my classmates.

Si Tris at si Jared ang magiging emcees since mayroong contests for the night, like a pageant and talent showdown. I took the honor in designing our class representative's indigenous gown, a mermaid cut dress made from garbage bags and broken cds. We enjoyed the first night of the camp like kids having fun together, as its the last we will be doing so.

That night, natapos ang ceremonies by 11, and soon it was bedtime. I took a shower sa locker rooms and wore my pajamas and my varsity jacket, lounging at the balcony outside our room. My mom would not stop talking to me on the phone.

"Ma... I know... Matutulog na kami. They'll be shutting down the lights soon... Matulog na rin po kayo.. Okay, Goodnight Ma."

I sighed and hugged my stuffed unicorn closer, admiring the night sky above me.

May umupo sa tabi ko and I stared at them, and saw Jared.

"J? Hindi ka pa natutulog?"

"I just got out of the shower. Do you want to see the stars better?"

I nodded my head and he leads me down the staircase. He held my hand habang naglakad kami papunta sa school field.

There was no light pollution during that time, as the only lights on now are the streetlamps sa edge ng field. The stars looked brighter in contrast sa dark blue skies, parang malaking kumot na may butas-butas.

Okay that was probably a shite explanation. But it looked really pretty.

Humiga ako sa field na parang starfish, staring above me. Jared also followed, his head opposite mine that everytime we look to our right, our faces would be near each other.

I took the chance and kissed him sa cheeks, and he suddenly blushed, his ears turning red. Hahaha ang cuteee...

"Ang ganda ng stars, J." Tumingin ako sa himpapawid nang nakangiti, as I feel his stare on me.

"Parang ikaw." Bulong niya sa sarili niya at ako naman ang namula. Dinaig pa ng stereo ang kabog ng dibdib ko sa sobrang kilig.

And speaking of stereo...

"Last call for students, lights off in ten minutes! Please return to your respective rooms!"

Tumayo kaming dalawa ng mabilis and I looked at my phone's watch. 11:50 pm. I dragged his hand and we jogged back to our building.

"It was a nice night." I said to Jared as we walked. "Thank you. Goodnight, J."

"Goodnight, Avy." He waved at naglakad papunta sa room ng boys sa right side ng building.

I stared at his back before walking back upstairs.

I love you.

Kahit ang torpe mo parin.

Kahit ang dilim at ang tahimik na ng gabi, parang maingay parin ang puso kong kumakabog sa aking dibdib.