Chapter 23: Thought

Chapter 23: Thought

Prom was a rainy night, you can hear it from the windows.

My lolo said that rain is lucky, and I took his word. It was his form of comfort when it rained after his funeral, just as when my mum and uncles and aunts sat together to talk about old memories.

Someone from our batch yet again, sneaked in alcohol, at least its now wine and they hid it on the grape juice. But I'll stick to red tea today.

Aleiah was all alone, strange. Her once-boyfriend was now enjoying a dance with our homeroom's muse.

She seemed to look around, only bringing a small smile as she made eye contact with me. She fiddled with her straw as she drank the grape juice that filled her tall glass. Does she know it has wine?

"Save me a dance, will you?" I asked Jared. "Mike asked me to perform an intermission after ELF finishes their band setlist so that the next one could prepare."

"Okay, Avs, hihintayin kita dito sa ilalim."

---

I sang three songs. It was not according to plan, but it seemed great, everyone had a great time.

"Thank you, Graciello High. I'm Clare Avery Sanchez, once again. Goodnight!" I skipped off the stage and hugged Mike, who was incharge of the sounds and lights.

"Oh gosh, I owe you, Clarey!" Mike squealed. "Salamat talaga."

"Walang problema, Mikey!" I smiled. "Excuse me, hahanapin ko pa si Jared."

"Go get him, tiger.." Mike nudges me and I nudge him back, of course affectionately.

Now to find Jared...

I walked around, feeling the chain of my necklace as I go. Then I stopped.

Shet nawala yung pendant niya. Nasaan na yung Eiffel Tower koooo???

I crouched and tried my best para hanapin siya sa dance floor, when a pair of feet stopped in front of me.

"Are you looking for this, Miss?" He asked. Oh thank goodness,  hawak niya ang Eiffel Tower ko.

"Thank you!" I sighed in relief. Hindi kakayanin ng guilt ko kapag mawawala siya for good. I got the accessory and placed it back on the chain. "Oh, arent you Aleiah's boy--"

"Ex-boyfriend. " He took out his hand to shake. "Kyle Corpuz. SPA, currently dating Candy Santos."

"Oh your dating her!" I beamed. "Good for you."

"Thanks.." He scratched his head as he became flustered.

"Ummm... hindi sa nanghihimasok ako auh, bakit kayo nagbreak ni Aleiah?"

"Oh, she said she loves someone else. And so I let her go." Kyle shrugged his shoulders. "Anyway, if you're looking for Aleiah, i think she's by the buffet table, talking to Jared Vines?"

My breathing stopped for a second.

"Thank you, Kyle."

I walked to the place, seeing none of the two. Pumasok ako sa girl's washroom and wala din siya doon.

I even asked some of our classmates, napapraning na ako internally, so Gab and Scar just led me to our table to eat. I was only able to breathe well noong sumama na sa akin si Jared to eat, pero nawala naman siya sa tingin ko when I freshened up at the washroom.

Hmm... Maybe nasa CR lang siya katulad noong sinabi niya kanina. I trust him.

Me and my friends danced when some kpop songs played in the stereo, with everyone cheering when G Dragon started rapping his part in Fantastic Baby. Gab and I went and danced along when Hyuna's Red began playing, acting like totally crazy people. I was able to forget what I was worrying about in the first place. Then Taeyang's Eyes, Nose, Lips started playing and everyone was either retreating to their chairs or picking up any partners to slow dance. I stood alone in the dance floor as I waited for Jared to come back.

I told him to save me a dance. Why isn't he coming?

Nakita ko ang familiar tuxedo niya, walking with a girl wearing a purple dress, leaving through the back door. Parang hinahatak siya ng babae.

And so my curiousity got the best of me. I left the dancefloor, and followed the two.

They stopped at the parking lot, in the shade. The rain had stopped an hour ago, but there was no guarantee that hindi na uulan ulit.

I tried my best to keep hidden and not slip sa basang concrete, eavesdropping to their conversation.

"Aleiah, why are you doing this?" The guy said angrily.

"Hey just hear me out. I'm sorry." She sighed. "I'm sorry I rejected you last year, I'm just confused."

"What do you mean?"

"My feelings, I was confused and now I'm not! You told me what you two were was just because you wanted to make me jealous. You succeeded! Because now I'm more certain of my feelings!"

"So what are you trying to say, Aleiah? I need to get back to Avery."

I stare at the grumbling skies, hoping that I won't get more wet. The puddles around me already made the ends of my dress wet, so I was hoping hindi na madadagdagan.

"I... I love you okay!" She spat. "I know I shouldn't and I know its wrong but I can't help it, 'Red."

I was stunned at the sudden confession. I edged closer and looked at them from behind the wall when they stopped talking.

Biglang bumagal ang function ng brain ko. Parang nabuhusan ako ng napakalamig na tubig. No, it's like pinalitan ng ice cold water ang blood ko ngayon.

There stood in front of me, was Jared and Aleiah. Kissing as if their lives depended on it.

Sa kada segundo, sa kada tibok, mas lalong tumitindi ang sakit ng dibdib ko. When I gasped, the both pulled away in shock.

"A-avy!" Jared never looked so mortified.

"O-oh... M-mukhang effective ang plano natin.. C-congrats..." I stuttered, forcing a smile as I stepped back. I pulled back the chain and threw the pendant.

"Didn't you plan to give that to me last year, Red? Why does she have it?" Aleiah silently asked, but it sounded louder than the music blaring on the speakers, it sounded louder than the thunder that was resonating in my ears, it sounded louder than the beating of my own heart, that was now slowly breaking apart.

"Avy! Wait!"

I made a run for it, running out from the parking lot, to outside the school. The first drops of rain splattered on my shoulders and on my head as I sped past them.

Sabi ni lolo, maswerte ang ulan. Bakit ang malas ko ngayon?

I kept running until I reached the park. I kept running even though I'm soaking wet and shivering from the rain. I felt my heels snap and I dropped, slipping on puddles. Napatingin ako sa itaas at napahagulgol sa iyak.

Our plan worked. He got her, but now I can feel my heart drop.

But he ended the act, i thought it was real. He showed me affection, he cared for me, treated me like a lover. I thought he loves me.

But he didn't love me. I just thought na torpe siya and just felt like he did.

A bright light shined in front of me as I numbly stood up, in the middle of the highway. I looked limply and smiled, feeling the impact of it all.

I thought lang pala. Dakilang feeling lang naman kasi ako.