Chapter 22: I Feel Happy

Dream. Ano ngaba ang dream ko?

No one, except for this one kpop group, has ever asked me.

"What's your dream?"

I asked myself that multiple times, and of course, it's to be happy. To feel immense joy.

And I feel happy with Jared, but they slowly seem to fade like colors of an old photograph.

All I just dream is to feel happy with the results of my hard work.

I thought that to myself when I submitted all the requirements for the scholarships I applied for in the UK, South Korea, America and Japan, and one in the local university.

I also thought that when I asked Jared the same question during our date.

"J, what's your dream?"

"I want to be an engineer, why?" He answered as I played with the straw of my drink. "You're confused of yours, aren't you?"

I nodded silently, taking a sip.

"Oh, Avy... that's okay." He patted my hand, and intertwined them together. "What makes you happy, Av?"

I stayed silent for long then looked at him. "I missed playing music with EL, 'Red. I really loved delving in the sciences, pero I just really feel happiest when I sing."

"Maybe you should follow your heart." Jared smiled. "See where it leads you, it makes you happy after all."

Yeah. I followed my heart, and it lead me to you. And I'm happy with that outcome.

The waiter brings our order, a chocolate lava cake that he picked out with my birthday candles.

"Happy birthday, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and all the holidays that I wasn't able to celebrate with you last break, Avy." He grinned as I looked at the numbered candles. Sixteen. "Make a wish!"

"Happy birthday to me!" I clapped my hands together and made a wish.

I wish I'll realize my dream, and that I'll be happy, like really happy, oh and also more years with my friends and Jared.

I smiled and blew my candles. He clapped his hands and brought out something.

A velvet box. I opened the lid and gasped at the content. It was a necklace with an Eiffel Tower pendant, and I wore a tight lipped smile as I allowed him to put it on my neck.

It was a dream of mine to go there, but the Eiffel Tower reminded me of something else. Aleiah was half French, and lived half of her childhood in the capital of France.

I shrug off the thought. Maybe she just helped him buy the gift for me, that's all.

After our date, I came to meet up with my family and friends for my birthday dinner. All eyes were on my necklace, but I dismissed their looks.

"I bought it for myself, cute isn't it?" I told my sister as Scarlet and Gab just looked at me from the other side of the table.

---

As if a dream come true, this year's prom would be more of a formal ball gown event with a theme of "a night with the stars". It makes me happy that this year's committee got inspiration from The Fault in our Stars, a book and movie I oh-so-adored.

I had my Augustus Waters with me, Jared. Two weeks ago, he simply just asked me out on a prom date, holding a bouquet of orange tulips, just as how Gus went and told Hazel about his cancer wish to go to Amsterdam with her.

I'm so glad he remembered my love for that book.

So once again, I'm making a lot of efforts to look spectacular for this week's prom.

My mom got a seamstress to sew me a dress, a baby pink dress that made me look princess-like and innocent. I went to give it a try last week, and it fit me perfectly. It would go well with the gold heels I've received last Christmas.

"Oh my go--" I gasped as I checked my dresser on the day of the prom. I can't find the necklace he gave to me.

"What's wrong?" My sister asked.

"Where's my Eiffel tower necklace?"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, I borrowed it for a social convention. But I'm so sorry, the chain broke. I got it fixed though!" My sister brought me back the pendant, it had a different chain, as a matter of fact, the chain looked so much better than the pendant. Legit na gold to siguro.

"Oh it's okay." I wore the chain and watched as the pendant rested on my chest. "Perfect. "

I admired my appearance before wearing my shoes, when a knock interrupted my moment.

"Your friends are here, Clare." Mama called.

"Hii mga friends.." I posed for them when I walked downstairs. "Ganda ko, diba?"

"Ang lakas ng hangin dito auh," Tawa sakin ni Tris. "Halika na, si kuya ko ang magdadrive satin doon."

"Noona!" Gab smiled as i see them inside the car. "Nagpaganda talaga siya para kay Jared!"

"Sus!" I blushed. "Maganda na nga talaga ako eh."

"Malakas nga ng hangin," Umiling si Szane habang hindi makatigil sa tawa si Scarlet sa likod.

"Anak, ingat ha?" Mama called out habang papalabas kami sa driveway.

"Love you ma! Thank you!" I called out as the car set off to Graciello High.

"Lumabas na daw ang results, Clare?" Natanong ni Scarlet nang kumalma na siya sa pagtatawa.

"I got my letters noong umaga. Kayo?" I asked them and they nodded as well. "Nakapasa ako sa dalawa, shocking."

"Hoy congrats!" Tris exclaimed. "Sa local lang nga ako pumasa."

"Pano ba naman, Japan lang ang kinuhaan mo ng international scholarship exam." I smiled. "Pero..."

"You don't want to go?" Gab asks and I shook my head. "Noona, kung gusto mo talaga,doon ka nalang sa local, mas malapit siya compared sa whatever country na nakuha mo."

"I'll think of that. Parang ayaw kong umalis ng Graciello High eh, parang kasisimula palang ng kasiyahan ko dito eh. Mauudlot lang?"

"It's up to you." Scarlet says as we park bear the AV hall.

"Thank you, kuya ni Tris!" We chorused as we get off the car, my date already waiting for me by the gates.

"Hi, Jared." I breathed as I see his face. He looks dashing, but also kinda worried.

I feel like my breath got caught on my throat. Is he happy? It's probably the nerves.

"Shall we go in?"

I feel happy, as I felt his hand on mine, entering the place for the first time tonight.