III; Gods Among Us

Thank you so much to everyone who is reading and leaving the most lovely comments, you have no clue how happy each one of you make me and how you make my day go from terrible to wonderful in a heartbeat!
____

Frank was an incredibly curious being, speaking of which in both definitions of the word, becoming more and more so strange as Gerard watched him from the corner of his eye. Curious, as in everything around him seemed to be national treasures in his hazel eyes, and curious in the odd way in which Gerard couldn't quite get past oddities Frank exuded in his movements, the wide-eyed innocence as he absorbed all of the objects in Gerard's house as if he was seeing them for the first time in his life. He would be a red-handed liar if he didn't admit he was a tad worried about letting Frank stay in his house until he remembered the pieces of his memory he'd lost from a head injury, but something about the childish wonder glittering in the man's eyes had all of his worries dissolving in an instant. He was no danger, nor was he a criminal on the run as Gerard wondered for a moment. Frank couldn't ever hurt a fly.

"Paintings." Frank murmured as Gerard gathered the empty mug and the melted package  of ice from the couch. Frank had woken up shortly after he fell asleep, rising to the sound of his grumbling stomach that Gerard couldn't help but snicker at from how the noise filled the room. He fed the man buttered toast with sugar, watching discreetly how he consumed it as if he'd never had anything so delicious in his entire life.

"Oh, those." Gerard looked up, seeing Frank gazing in awe at the portraits lined along the wall with a tarp splattered with smudges of colorful paint spread out underneath them. "I'm an artist. I sell my work sometimes, or put them in an exhibit for a night."

"I've seen these before." Frank whispered, more to himself than anything, as he gently stroked the paths the paintbrush bristles left behind on a landscape painting depicting the ocean and the powdery white sands with shades of tan and beige blended into the tango of neutral colors.

"They're pretty common." Gerard felt strange answering when Frank was only thinking out loud, but his comment sounded like more of a question than any sort of reply.

"These are so lovely," Frank crouched down in front of the second one showing the roaring waves of the sea as lightening zapped from the sky and broke through the water with a vengeance. "The sea's beauty is implanted perfectly in all of them. She's gorgeous, isn't she?"

Gerard's eyebrows raised  in a questioning manner. "She?"

Frank stood up with large eyes, a small smile rising onto his pink lips as if his use of pronouns for the ocean was completely normal outside of Gerard's use of them. "The ocean is a goddess. While some believe there is only one God, there are very many in my beliefs. The ocean, the moon, and the earth are all goddesses. The sun, the desert, and the mountains are gods. All of them worthy of our worship."

"I feel the same," Gerard was surprised by how closely Frank's beliefs came to his own, feeling giddiness entering him as he'd found someone who shared a point of view so similar to his. "I always think that if there's any god, gods, or goddesses in the world, it's the ocean. It's so powerful and one of the most ethereal things on the earth. Screw humankind, the sea is one of the most wonderful creations to ever be put on this planet."

Frank's eyes brightened, a streak of sunshine bolting over his amber eyes and lightening them a shade in the most mesmerizing, curious manner, and a wide grin spread across his face. "Isn't she? I wish everyone could see it that way, including all of the other gods, because the world wouldn't be rotting underneath us if we all equally worshipped them."

"Sometimes, I think it would just be better to live in the ocean. If that were possible." Gerard chuckled and slowly walked over to the waste bin in the kitchen without breaking eye contact with Frank to toss away the items in his hands. The man sat strangely on the ground, his legs splayed around him awkwardly, and his hands rubbed over his knees while he listened to Gerard.