IV; The Moon's Lover

Welcome back, don't be afraid to drop comments, I adore you :)

____

Gerard scoured the entire beach looking for Frank. Behind every rock, stepping into the waves and soaking his jeans in the process until they plastered uncomfortably against his legs, walking around at the overfilled boardwalk and peeking underneath it to find any small sign that the man had been there at all. With no avail to his search, he began asking strangers if anyone had seen him. A small-framed man wearing a black button down and shorts, hazel eyes and light brown hair curling in towards his neck. None of them had any information and Gerard would be forced to apologize for interrupting their evening and walk away with the feeling of a ball of iron sinking to the bottom of his stomach, causing his feet to drag beneath him whenever he took one step forward.

The colors of the sunset no longer bled over the land and the sea had been bleached black and white by the powerful full moon grinning down onto the earth, shining silver beams over the surface ripples moving over the ocean rising low as the pull of the goddess in the night sky claimed for one of her brethren to come to her. Gerard had no heart to turn and admire the perfection of her soothing light when he began to shiver from the cold and drag himself home without a bubbly stranger by his side to chatter about the beauty of the sea with him. 

The night was chilled from the breeze swaying through the air, the wide leaves of palm trees shaking from the quiet caress of wind. Gerard rubbed his hands over his arms to keep warm, numbly making his way back towards the direction of his house with his eyes trained towards the path in front of him. Some part of him told himself that Frank would be back in the morning to greet him with a reassuring smile on his face, but another piece of his mind whispered to him that the man was only an apparition starring in his dreams, that soon he'd awake to morning light falling over his face and he'd realize the mystery of Frank Iero never existed. No amount of surprise would come to his mind if this rang true, for the ocean couldn't possibly be so kind as to grant him a beautiful stranger to take into his care and possibly discover wonderful things with. The thought made him scoff, feeling himself to be a fool to believe for one moment that a man like Frank could have been given to him for any reason. He didn't deserve anything as good as a kind companion made from the purity of the ocean herself. It was outrageous to ever think so.

Gerard wondered if some part of his subconscious made Frank up in his sleep because he was lonely. The only friends he had that came to mind were his co-workers from work, and even then, calling them friends was a mighty stretch. Make small talk with someone to clear away awkward silence and occasionally sharing a laugh didn't make a friendship, but Gerard was so desperate to cling to his defense that he wasn't detached from society that he made up these companionships inside his head to prove himself and others wrong. Gerard had one best friend, his brother Mikey, his brother states away from him and a brother who scarcely had time to answer his phone calls when he focused on making his own friends to continue to grow with. Gerard didn't want to believe their bond was broken, but it dawned on him now, and the feeling left his eyes misty and stinging where the wind blew into them as he walked.

Reaching his house, Gerard pulled the keys out from his pocket and approached the porch with a slouch at his back, and frown turning his lips down as he tried his best to keep his emotions from taking over. In the process of unlocking the door, Gerard froze when he saw movement coming from the darkness at the corner of his eyes. The moon was bright, but not bright enough for him to have seen anything able to move hovering near the entrance of his house. His heart sped up in fear and he planned to swing  the door open, leap inside and tightly shut the door behind him while twisting the lock as quickly as possible.

"Gerard?" A familiar voice spoke up. It was coming from the figure approaching Gerard and the sound of that voice had Gerard stiffening, turning towards the dark with large eyes.