Chapter 8 - Time to talk

Isabelle's P.O.V

After talking to Clary I went straight into my room to clean up and get change.

I need to find Simon.

I walk down the stairs to find Magnus and Alec sucking each other's faces. It's not something I would like to see in the morning.

"Get a room will you?" Alec jumps away from Magnus and his face starts turning red.

"Oh don't worry honey, we got two!" Magnus grabs Alec's hand and drags him up the stairs. I hear Alec say something, but I couldn't hear him. I was too busy looking at Simon who was outside on the porch.

He hasn't noticed me yet which is good. I take a deep breath, and walk outside.

"Simon." He turns around and the first thing I notice are his thick black glasses. It's been a while since I've seen him wear them and I have to say, he looks so adorable.

"Isabelle." He whispers my name as if he's afraid that saying it aloud will hurt.

I keep staring at him. His hair looks like a mess, but in a cute way and his blue shirt's creased. He's wearing black jeans but no shoes. He must have just woken up.

"We need to talk." Simon nods and looks away from me. There's a moment of silence before I walk towards him.

When I stand next to him I notice his body go tense. I look at his eyes and he looks so far away. Like he's remembering something. He shakes his head and blinks a few times before turning to face me.

He smiles. But I could tell it was forced.

"About last night. I-"

"Don't worry about it Izzy, I shouldn't have said anything, I-"

"Stop. Let me talk this time, alright?" His mouths closes into a thin line and he shakes his head up and down.

"Last night, when you told me you remembered almost everything, I was shocked. I didn't really expect this to happen. I always thought that from the moment you gave up your immortality and your memories, you'd never remember me again."

I heard Simon open his mouth, but close it again, understanding that I wanted him to listen.

"And when you told me you Love me, I-I didn't really know what to say. And I was so afraid of letting you in again, that I ran away from you." I turned my head sideways to look at Simon and found him staring back at me with his chocolate brown eyes.

"I guess what I'm saying is, I don't want to run or hide from you Simon." One side of his mouth went up and the other side soon followed. It was a Simon Smile. Not the fake smile I saw earlier. This was his real smile.

"But I also don't want to start anything romantic between us." His smile faltered a little. I wanted to tell him that I was only joking, that I want to pick up from where we left off, but I knew that wasn't what I wanted.

Not yet anyway.

"Not until you Ascend."

He gave me a confused look but soon replaced it with recognition. He must have forgotten about the Ascension.

"Simon. When you Ascend, all your memories will slowly come back. I want you to remember me. The real me. Not the Isabelle everyone knows. But the Isabelle you love."

He smiles so wide I'm almost blinded. I hear him chuckle lightly as Clary walks in with Jace right behind her.

"I see you two talked everything out. Surprised you didn't run away again Iz" Clary nudges Jace with her elbow and pushes him towards Simon.

"You ready Simon?"

"Ready for what?" Jace cracks his knuckles and slaps Simon on the back.

"Your training begins today, and you've got the best Shadowhunter to train you."

"And who might that be?" Simon stumbles forward and lands near Clary's feet.

"Jace!" I watch as Clary helps Simon up. I'm not used to him being so vulnerable. But I prefer him just like this.

"It's not my fault the mundane fell!" Clary shakes her head, but I can see she's trying to hold back laughter.

"Just get ready. We're leaving in an hour."