[14] Her Butler, Soul Bending

I didn't keep track of the time that had passed by after I had locked myself in the guest bedroom. Even though I will admit it was a bit childish of me to do so, I was still pleased that I had managed to gain some privacy and isolation after that rather embarrassing incident. There was no doubt that my eyes were a puffy red, and that my makeup (even though I only wore a bare minimum) was now smeared about my face. If Yuki, -- or Hell forbid, Rodric -- were to see me in such a state, one way or another, I would end up in tears once again. So when I heard a soft knock from the bedroom door, it was only instinct for me to rush and hide back under the covers to feign sleep.

"Countess Adelina?"

I paused and raised my head, recognizing the voice. Immediately, I ripped off the coverts and rushed over to unlock the door as a few tears threatened to leak out now that I was purposefully holding them in. I pulled the door open, and on the other side was the woman who owned the familiar sharp, chocolate eyes that always seemed to reflect concern and disapproval. She seemed to be bewildered at my sudden state, and instantly ushered my back inside, closing the door behind her before locking it once more. I bit my bottom lip down harshly as it threatened to quiver, and when she finally turned around, I tasted blood.

"Adelina, what's gotten into you?" Yuki asked softly, directing me back onto the bed, "I know you prefer isolation, but it's been three hours, and you missed dinner."

She handed me her handkerchief and I took it gratefully, dabbing away at my tear-stained skin before answering her, trying my best to continue on with my usual attitude.

"I was talking with Ciel after that ridiculous Prince went to sleep," I said with casualness that wasn't there before. "And he struck a nerve that I thought I had terminated a long time ago. I was just... taking some time to think."

Even through the darkness of the night, I could feel Yuki's glare harden, and I saw her fists clench at her dress on her lap. She stood up, and went over to the dresser, her back facing me as she began to light some candles.

"What nerve did that imp strike?" Yuki pressed. The iciness of her question put me on edge. This was most certainly unlike her. I mean, yes of course she would dearly punish anyone who would hurt the DelMare name, but I had never experienced it personally before. Even so, I trusted her with every ounce of blood in my body.

But I did not trust her to not go on and try and right the wrong I had been dealt with. That was my duty, and mine alone.

"Twelve years ago, on March 16th, my soul was sold." I told her, and her movements froze just as I had expected them to, "Tell me the story again."

After a moment of silence, she spoke.

"It's got something to do with him knowing, then."

I refused to answer. If anything, it was now common knowledge amongst both manor, just as it was common knowledge that we both had demon butlers. Yuki sighed and turned around, her hands folded in front of her.

"Well, he was bound to find out." she stated, before taking her seat again besides me, "Now, you want me to tell it again?"

I glanced towards the candles and sighed.

"I don't remember anything besides what you tell me. You know this; it's all foggy. So I'm asking. And as your Countess, I expect an answer without question."

Yuki was, if anything, traditionally obedient. And so she nodded and began to recount my unfortunate story, which I actually knew by heart. However, I found a type of solace whenever she retold it. A type of temporary and safe embrace that I felt one day would unfold, so whenever I had the chance, I listened to it once more.

"Your parents were such wonderful business directors, amazing nobles, and I'm sure they would have made incredible parents as well." she began, looking out the window to our left, "It was no surprise how quickly they managed to achieve so many successes together. Dare I say, they were an unbeatable duo that could even stand against the Queen and late King of our beloved country.

"However, when your beautiful mother fell pregnant with a troublesome girl that I know, arguments between the two of them that never happened before began to pop out of nowhere. Eventually, they concluded that they were capable of doing anything and everything but raising a child."

She glanced at me and let out a breath of air, shaking her head.

"They were just so scared for you..." she said, running a hand down my cheek. I closed my eyes as she did and nodded for her to continue. "The world is harsh, unfair, and it can break people into pieces that can never be put back together again. Your parents knew this more than anyone. After all, they were guilty of causing some of this world's pain against a number of people. They didn't want their little girl to experience any of that.

"And so, after excruciating months of research, and even dwelling into the dark cults of different countries, they found a way to contact someone who could assure the safety of everything they had achieved, and the safety of their first born child as well."

Yuki stopped to look at me, her expression weary.

"I didn't want them to, I made sure they were aware that I was completely against their decision. But their minds were made, and nothing I could do nor say was going to stop them." she remarked, waving her finger in the air, causing me smile slightly, "I was told to wait outside as they summoned that irritable demon, and all I remember was you crying and screaming your little lungs out. Honestly, for a babe, you were incredibly loud."

At this I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "Well pardon me for feeling agonizing pain while I was being marked as a newborn baby."

Just as expected, she smirked.

"You didn't wake up for a day or so, but by then, the rules had been made and you were contracted. Rodric was to obey your parents in place of you until they died, or once you reached the age of sixteen, you would have full control of him. Unfortunately, both your father and mother were taken, and because of this, you became the prodigious Countess that they would have been proud of calling their daughter."

She paused and I blinked a few times before speaking, knowing how difficult it was for her each time to recall the story, since my parents had given her permanent home and they were now gone.

"End of story." I said with a smile, and she stood up, bowing.

"I hope that keeps you from losing your self-control anytime soon." She teased, before heading to the door and pausing as she held the door-handle. "And I hope that whatever nerve that Earl struck has been mended."

I wrapped myself back up once she had stepped out, and was about to prepare myself for another sleepless night when there was another knock on the door. Sighing heavily, I sat up and crossed my arms.

"What is it, Yuk--"

The door was pushed open and I tensed as I caught sight of the white eye-patch and dark blue ebony hair. He was carrying a covered silver tray in his hand, and even though the bedroom was barely illuminated, I could clearly tell he was uncomfortable with his decision.

"What are you doing?"

I raised an eyebrow and he scowled, setting the plate down quickly on the dresser.

"I thought that you would be hungry since you didn't come to dinner." Ciel muttered unpleasantly, and then turned to leave. If he thought that just bringing me my dinner without speaking another word was the way I was going to let things happen, he was mistaken. I was also wondering why neither servant nor demon had brought it instead, but I brushed it aside and instead opened my mouth to speak, a bit louder than usual because of how dry my throat was.

"What is it?" I asked, nodding towards the plate. Stopping in his tracks, he sighed heavily turned back around, going over to it and lifting the cover. The room was instantly infused with the strong smell of chicken, garlic and onion, making my mouth water and stomach growl in response.

My hands went to my abdomen and Ciel chuckled, shrugging. "Cottage pie, accommodated to Indian customs."

Awkwardly, I stood up and went over to bring it to myself, and Ciel handed me my silverware, not sure how to proceed. I was used to being served my meals in bed whenever I had an episode like this, and Ciel --I was positive-- had no prior knowledge on how to handle being the server. And so I had to place down the meal on the wooden table besides the bed on my own. I was glad to see that Ciel had the common decency to at least remember to pull out the chair for me. I ate in silence, savoring the pie that I was sure one of the demon butlers made.

"I've never apologized for any of my actions," Ciel suddenly began, coughing lightly. I glanced up at him and he refused to look me in the eye. "But if I mentioned anything that brought back an unpleasant memory or said something that was out of my place, I--"

I set the fork down and shook my head, stopping him before he could finish. Although he was annoyed at this, I could easily tell he was also relieved. He wasn't one to apologize.

"Don't do anything that you either don't mean or isn't in your nature." I told him, a smirk growin.. "Your ego is much too large to handle such a thing."

Ciel snickered and leaned against the dresser, scratching the back of his neck. "I've been prone to do things that aren't really in my character these last few months."

I swallowed the last bit of pie and pushed the plate away with my forefinger, smiling up at Ciel in expectancy.

"So, is there anything new to report to me about your obnoxious guests?"

-

"Well, what do we have here?"

The intermediate between life and death chuckled in amusement, biting down on his biscuit with a grin. He swung his legs back and forth as he watched the mansion miles away, or more so, watched the souls inside it.

"I haven't seen this in centuries..."

His necklace chimed through the silence of the heavy night. The glass jar that contained more of the bone shaped cookies reflected the pale moonlight, illuminating the gray-skinned being.

"It bends to and bends fro," he chuckled, tipping his top hat, "it's so compatible ever since it was transfigured. No wonder the other one wants to latch onto it; they're practically made for one another."

He gracefully hopped off the tree branch and chewed the treat he was enjoying, turning away from his entertainment, beginning to head back to his dark and corpse-infested home. After a time of walking, he bent over and picked up a branch, balancing it on his forefinger before letting out a laughter loud enough to startle the owls and wolves that were lurking nearby.

"I knew you were something special. Any being can sense it when you two stand shoulder to shoulder, hehehe..."

The Undertaker swept his hair back, allowing his chartreuse eyes to analyze the thin tree limb in his hand, plucking its leaves off one by one.

"Like a tree branch, bent or twisted, it's going to wear out sooner or later..." he snapped the branch in two and tossed it over his shoulder, continuing to chuckle. "I just hope it provides some entertainment before it cracks."

-

...My Countess orders, I obey; Anyone who dares interfere, will have Hell to pay...