[36] Her Butler, Connecting

"Why would you announce that to the entire table?!"

I flinched as Ciel again hissed the question out into the bedroom. The curtains had been pulled shut and a single candle was lit, just enough for me to be able to see his clear disbelief. Nervously, my hands grazed across the dresser I was beside and clutched onto the nearest item there, which happened to be a perfume bottle.

"And now look what they've done; given us a bedroom to share."

Of course, they had.

I sighed heavily and slammed the bottle back onto the dresser, at the moment not caring about the dent I probably had made.

"I didn't know what else to say!" I snapped, now more aggravated than embarrassed. "You would not understand my circumstances, you have never been in my situations!"

"Then do tell," Ciel said with a wave of his arm and a shake of his head.

He was obviously drained.

The idle show we put on when everyone began asking about our 'engagement' certainly did tire me out as well, but I wouldn't let him off that easily. This would be hard for me as well.

Clearing my throat, I decided that the easiest way to assure maximum cooperation would be to tell him the truth.

"Well," I began, straightening my back, "as you can clearly tell, I am a lady."

He rolled his eye.

"And so a lady is not looked upon-- kindly for taking over and owning a large business."

As Ciel blinked, I sighed and realized he wouldn't be too quick to understand.

Taking a strand of my hair in between my fingers, I rolled it back and forth and braced my teeth to spit out the unattractive truth.

"My family and the absurd society we live in would not approve of me maintaining the business, so you came in order to act as the head of my company." I muttered, narrowing my eyes at the ugly rose perfume bottle in rising anger, "However, I did not account for them to ask about how we knew each other and panicked when it came to responding."

A sudden knock coming from the window cut Ciel's comment off and I rushed over to open it, relieved to see Sebastian holding a second mattress and set of covers for one of us to sleep in.

"My Lady," He said with a small smile, hopping inside. "I've the second bed you've requested."

He began to assemble the mattress together and I walked over to Ciel who seemed to be in quite the sour mood.

"Oh, what's the matter now, Ciel?"

Again, he rolled his eyes and scowled.

"I don't know what could be worse: you announcing our engagement or my demon taking orders from you."

My cheeks warmed. Behind us, Sebastian fluffed the pillows in silence and I turned away from them both and the candlelight. The constant put-downs from Ciel certainly did not provide any comfort and I was too stubborn to ask for his cooperation.

"Well, I'm terribly sorry that you disliked my mistake so much," I mumbled as I began undoing the ribbon in my hair, "but you're just going to have to accommodate just as everyone else is."

I saw Ciel blink and open his mouth to respond but a soft knock on the bedroom door stopped us both from moving. Sebastian was quick to hide and I rushed over to make sure whomever it was didn't open it completely and Ciel hurried over to pick up a book and sit down. If anyone saw the extra bed, more questions would arise before morning could stretch over the horizon.