It was...

Like everything in the world it started out beautiful. Like petals of a white rose so pure and delicate. Like my hand in his held under the table so our parents wouldn't find out. It was a childish wonder a sense of adventure and the sweet taste of your first love. In a room filled with people it was only him and me, staring at each from across the space that filled like millions of meters because we just couldn't handle being apart. It was sad goodbye and whispered I love you's. It was a bandage over a scrapped knee and a crutch to a broken ankle. It was a game football played in the park as our parents watched from afar marveling at our close friendship. It was made up stories and plays we did in the backyard imagining ghosts, monsters and the power of true friendship that could conquer all. It was pure like petals of a white rose just as it bloomed.

It was a tree that grew stronger and wiser as time passed. It was solving of problems and long talks through the night because we couldn't sleep. It was jealousy that made your heart jump and kisses on the cheek that made it soar. It was meaningful looks that told a thousand words. And shy smiles that showed that we were still just children discovering what it is like to be in love. It was the first break-up because of a miss understanding. It was sitting on the couch and watching him sit on the chair. Our eyes never meeting but our hearts reaching out to embrace. It was the first make-up as we talked through things promising never to let it get that far again. It was a tree that became stronger and wiser as time passed.

It was a storm waiting to ruin everything in its way. It was the smell of burning flesh and hot shower water. It was mistrust and fear that filled me to the prim. It was looking for comfort but getting none. It was feeling insecure for the first time in years. It was pushing the dark thoughts to the back of my head and trying to comfort in his arms once again. It was tears streaming down my reddened cheeks and bruises covering my arms and legs. It was a razor against my skin and guilt filling me to the prim. It was my mistakes, it was his. It was his insecurity and fear of losing me. It was problems with his family he wouldn't tell me about. It was words stuck in his throat and others not leaving mine. It was apologizes that were never said and I love you's that rusted in the back of our heads. It was the first time I flinched when he raised his hand and the way I coward when he opened his mouth. It was the realization that we were too toxic to be together.

It was the realization that all our dreams were wrong. It was the storm that hit out of nowhere taking my heart and his. Why?! I have always wanted to scream why did it have to end like this? Why does the rose have to die? Why does the tree have to be cut down? Why does the storm have to hit? Why does love have to end like this?