Chapter 2| Playing the Brat to keep the Prize

Xia Meixiang stiffened at the sound of that voice. It sounded slightly amused by her situation, and seemed to come directly into her mind.

Because Xia Meixiang had stopped suddenly, the rest of the entourage pulled to a stop as well.

With a cold sweat down her back, Shi Huan looked toward Xia Meixiang expecting to see a sullen and sour expression. She was surprised to see confusion on the little girl's face, as she looked around.

"Second Young Miss...?" Shi Huan began to ask.

"...I heard...something..." Xia Meixiang admitted, her face flushing red as she tried to pinpoint the source of the sound.

It was impossible for something to directly speak into her head. Completely illogical!

The voice chuckled lightly at her denial. 'Nothing is impossible in this world, Little Traveller.'

Xia Meixiang clearly heard the voice as if the person were speaking in her ears. She scanned the area around her, looking for a hooded figure or something.

The voice sighed. 'Very well, I will show myself. If only to keep them from mistaking you for crazy...'

Just as Shi Huan was going to start coaxing Xia Meixiang to continue walking and not playing tricks on them, Yan Lie shouted out, "Huan-guniang, over there, a little fox demon beast!"

Where Yan Lie pointed there was indeed a small fox-like creature with two white tipped ears and a white dot on its forehead. Two tails swayed behind it, twitching slightly. It's blood red eyes seemed to bore past Shi Huan and Mu Hong to land on Xia Meixiang at the center.

Shi Huan's expression hardened as she took a defensive stance before Xia Meixiang, flicking from her sleeve a set of stilettos. Ruthlessly, she threw them towards the unknown demon beast.

"Scarlet Blood Fox!" Shi Huan spat out its species name like a curse. The other three servant girls tensed around Xia Meixiang, waiting for Shi Huan, the strongest of them, to engage with the fox demon beast so they could take Xia Meixiang to safety.

The Scarlet Blood Fox was a silver-rank spirit beast. Only silver rank fighters could safely engage with silver-ranked demon beasts. Shi Huan was only a fourth-level bronze fighter, not yet capable of engaging with one

The fox easily dodged the flurry of slim knives, gracefully trotting closer in seconds.

Despite the tight formation around her, the fox easily found a way to into the center and leaped into Xia Meixiang's arms.

"Second Young Miss!" the quartet gasped. As one they all began to reach for the fox creature in her arms.

'You should stop them before you get hurt,' the voice crawled. The fox looked at her with intelligent eyes.

"Stop!" Xia Meixiang ordered, curling herself around the animal. The quartet froze, a puzzled look on their faces. Wrinkling her nose a bit at what she was about to do. "I want to keep it!" she puffed out her cues as she said it, sounding like a spoiled child.

"Second Young Miss..." Shi Huan sighed.

Xia Meixiang pouted and did her best impression of an indolent child. She stamped her small silk-slipper-clad foot. "Mei'er wants to keep it. It chose Mei'er! Mei'er wants it!"

Shi Huan and the rest shared a look before watching as the red fox licked her jade-like cheek. Finally, Shi Huan relented. "We'll ask Second Master and Madam, okay?"

'Fufuu~ I can smell you are not of this world, Little Traveller.' the fox snickered in her mind.

With that said, the entourage continued on their way, with the newly acquired fox obediently curled up in Xia Meixiang's small arms.

When they came to the main hall, Xia Meixiang was in awe of the structure both inside and out. Ancient times had some very striking visuals. Even for a novel world, the buildings were beautiful and worthy of national treasures.

"Mei'er," a voice called to Xia Meixiang who was in the midst of committing the building to memory.

Xia Meixiang turned to see a woman dressed in emerald green and turquoise approach, a gentle smile on her face. Xia Meixiang found her to be shocking, as it was clearly a very beautiful woman in her prime of life, but "Xia Meixiang's" memories told her this woman was her mother!

With long night black hair and peach blossom eyes, Xia Meixiang's newly acquired mother Ruan Xiuxiang was undoubtedly a beauty that only came every thousand years. She doted on her daughter considerably, and wanted the best for her, often giving her whatever she wanted.

"Mother," Xia Meixiang replied. With a subdued and bashful demeanor, Xia Meixiang lowered her head and said, "I'm sorry for causing you worry."

Ruan Xiuxiang's eyes widened significantly at the words from her daughter's mouth.

"Mei'er..."

"I know I was wrong..." Meixiang tucked her head closer to her chest. "But Yu biaoge said I could have anything for my birthday..."

This was true. "Xia Meixiang's" memories told her that just this morning her older cousin Xia Long Yu had promised to let her go first in the selection as it was her birthday. Xia Meixiang had been very angered by this broken promise.

Ruan Xiuxiang shared a look with Shi Huan, who knelt to comfort the child. "Second Young Miss, I know that it seems unfair, but this is the decision of the Patriarch." Shi Huan soothed.

Xia Meixiang still made a face. "I do not like it..." she pouted. MF, I want to be done playing the spoiled brat already, she thought. If it wouldn't cause panic, Xia Meixiang would have discarded the spoiled child attitude long ago.

The current Xia Meixiang had lived a life that was quite unspoiled. As the eldest child of a working father and housewife mother, her life in theory seemed idyllic, but it was not. From the time she was five, she had already learned to work hard to get what she wanted.

"Mei'er, be good and mother will find you something good to play with, okay?" Ruan Xiuxiang consoled.

Xia Meixiang had been waiting for that line. As if thinking about it, Xia Meixiang frowned hard, but then brightened. "Then, can I keep this Scarlet Blood Fox? I really like it. And it chose me. It likes me very much!" she reasoned with all the childlike phrases that she could think of.

Ruan Xiuxiang inspected the Scarlet Blood Fox in Xia Meixiang's arms before looking to Shi Huan. Shi Huan stepped forward and whispered a brief explanation to the Second Madam.

Ruan Xiuxiang inwardly sighed. No wonder her daughter was willing to apologize. She had found another thing to play with. She considered it briefly before nodding in agreement. She hoped her daughter would stay interested in this little fox for a long while.

Scarlet Blood Foxes were not difficult to raise as pets, if taken in from young. The Scarlet Blood Fox in Xia Meixiang's arms looked to be young. If raised properly, it would become a strong support for Xia Meixiang, maybe rising to a gold-level spiritual beast.

Xia Meixiang's expression brightened, even as she inwardly lamented behaving like a spoiled brat.

"Xiu'er," another voice called. Both Xia Meixiang and Ruan Xiuxiang turned towards the source to find a handsome man coming towards them, a complicated expression on his face.

Xia Meixiang's mind supplied a name and relation- Xia Yuanzhou, father. Xia Meixiang's lips twitched. Plot god... You are far too cruel, ah!

Clearly, Xia Meixiang had such great genes running through her body! And as a child she was obviously a cute and very beautiful child, but when introduced in the novel at thirteen, she was inferior in appearance to everyone of her cousins, ah! Absently, Xia Meixiang rubbed her cheek, murmuring, "Must have been a petty author... yes, just a petty author..."

"Husband, what bothers you?" Ruan Xiuxiang asked her troubled spouse.

Xia Yuanzhou looked from his beautiful wife to his daughter who was surprisingly calm. He sighed and replied, "The Patriarch wishes to speak with Mei'er before we begin. Alone."