Chapter 7| A Fiance Like this is Worthless to Me

Behind Chen He, with his own Tianlong robes on his body, stood Gu Zhulin, the First Young Master of the Gu Family and Xia Meixiang's fiance since she was born.

Tall, handsome and talented, there were many good things about this young master of the Gu Family. With his phoenix eyes now focused on Chen He, he radiated the aura of a 2 Star Qi Body Refining Realm practitioner.

Chen He paled, inwardly cursing the arrival of Gu Zhulin. Just a moment more and he would have smacked around this Xia Family b****!

Xia Meixiang was not entirely pleased to see her fiance either. She smelled a scheme was afoot the moment Chen He appeared before her.

This was undoubtedly the work of her good cousin-sister Xia ling-Er.

"Young Master Gu," Chen He forced his lips into a smile, "don't misunderstand me. I was only educating Young Miss Xia on proper etiquette in Tianlong Academy."

Xia Meixiang's eyebrow raised again, a smile of contempt and venom on her lips. "Young Master Chen, I do not require your kind of 'help', at all." she crossed her arms over her chest and stared blankly at the slightly pudgy youth. "In fact, I would hope to never encounter your kind of 'help' ever again!"

Chen He's gaze darted from Xia Meixiang and her group to Gu Zhulin and his formidable aura.

Still wearing his forced smile, Chen He bit out, "Second Young Miss Xia, you would do well to remember your words in the future."

Scoffing at Chen He's threat, Xia Meixiang instead turned to Xiao Zhong and instructed her, "After school, run out and buy a protective charm for me. Meeting such a rabid dog as soon as I enter the school is distasteful."

Xia Meixiang's words stabbed at Chen He as he left, humiliating him further. But with Gu Zhulin so close, he could only curse her in his little heart.

After Chen He left, Xia Meixiang readied herself to depart as well, not wanting to stay in Gu Zhulin's presence too long.

"Xia Meixiang," Gu Zhulin opened his mouth to speak, "Did you forget the Four Great Families Pact?"

Xia Meixiang frowned at his tone. "Gu Zhulin, have you forgotten who is the victim here?" she countered.

"There would be no victim if you had not antagonized him!" he argued.

Xiao Li was ready to jump to her defense, but Xia Meixiang stopped him with one hand.

"Oh, and how does Young Master Gu figure I am the instigator?" Xia Meixiang demanded to know. "Was Young Master Gu here from the beginning?"

But you are always at the root of trouble, was what Gu Zhulin wanted to argue, she knew.

Xia Meixiang lamented that some things could not be altered, even if one knew the course of events.

In the novel as well, "Xia Meixiang" had lost the respect of her fiance long before Xia Ling-Er took off with the protagonist. As Xia Ling-Er's mother was the sister of Gu Zhulin's mother, the two children were friendly. In contrast, "Xia Meixiang" spent most of her childhood listening to Xia Ling-Er's advice and acting according to how she thought Gu Zhulin would like her. Pitifully, her bizarre and uncultured behavior became so famed that despite her status, she had no friends.

The current Xia Meixiang was not as naive, but still rarely saw her fiance, due to devoting her adolescence to following Long Yu and Lan Yu, and training in the sword, whip and fan. She conditioned her body to be graceful, flexible and lethal, all to better complete her goals. As such, whenever she did see Gu Zhulin, she either looked like she had fought with someone, or was the subject of another story from Xia Ling-Er's mouth.

Although it was quite easy to debunk Xia Ling-Er's stories, Xia Meixiang was secretly hoping that Gu Zhulin would take the initiative and break their engagement. So far, he had not.

In concept Gu Zhulin was the ideal man for a woman of Xia Meixiang's stature. Only two years older than her thirteen, he had outstanding talent, a reputable family of noble lineage and handsome features sure to only get better as he matured.

However, he was flawed in many ways. For instance, his readiness to believe the worst in someone he was supposed to marry. And his blatant bias towards Xia Ling-Er. Not to mention his "charming ways" had amassed a gathering of female followers that he led around with sweet nothings.

Gu Zhulin frowned at the words that came from his fiance's mouth. It was true, when he came here, he had not understood the full situation. But based on what he knew about Xia Meixiang, she was the troublemaker.

"Furthermore, before even asking if I am unharmed, you accuse me of neglecting the Four Great Families Pact?" Xia Meixiang pointed out. "I have not forgotten it, but perhaps Young Master Chen has. "

The Four Great Families Pact was a plot point in the novel as well. It was an imperial edict that restricted the Four Families from carrying out familial grudges on the academy grounds.

If any of the families were found to be in violation, they were not only expelled from the academy, they could even be demoted to being commoners.

"That..." Gu Zhulin had not thought that Xia Meixiang could have such insight. She had carefully assessed the situation, and had been aware of her actions in every step. It was truly him who had stepped in too hastily and almost been the "villain".

For some reason, Gu Zhulin felt dissatisfied with this turn of events.

He was the young master of the Gu Family, the pride and joy of his father and bloodline at the age of sixteen. He was someone considered talented and charming, yet his own fiancé treated him like she was a commoner crossing her path.

Just as he was about to scold her again, a familiar voice called out, "Second Older Sister!"