Chapter 21| Setting a Strong Deterrent: Wei Qiang Fei Makes an Appearance

The dimming evening light found the Xia Family's fleet of carriages slowly coming upon the palace. It was a rather small procession, only several carts, most of which carried presents for the Third Prince.

Xia Meixiang's family had naturally secured their own presents for the Prince, including a chest of the finest scrolls for writing and a Qilin shaped ink stone. The Third Household had an assortment of treasures for the Prince, pulled from Third Master's years outside the capital.

The First Household had long since departed from the Xia Estate, with Xia Lan Yu entering the palace early to greet her future mother and father in law. First Uncle and First Aunt Heilan had led the caravan of Xia Lan Yu's gifts over earlier, with added imperial protection for the pregnant madam. Only the First heir was missing from the procession, not that anyone except Xia Meixiang noticed.

Long Yu was probably dealing with the problem Xia Meixiang had presented to him... She hoped he would finish before the great unveiling.

"Mistress, watch your step," Xiao Zhong helped Xia Meixiang down from the carriage, pausing briefly to admire how her lady stood out among the gaggle of young girls around.

Poised, beautiful and graceful, she wore a light green colored dress with silver and lilac embroidery, and lilac slippers with pearls encrusted. She looked neither too outlandish or too plain, her makeup tame and refined.

Xiao Zhong took a moment to admire her own new dress that her mistress had insisted she wear for the event. A simple styled cream and pale green dress, decorated at the back with a rooted tree, the symbol for the Xia Family, she was felt far more comfortable seeing as how some other servants of the family were still wearing New Year's clothing.

"Second Young Miss," Shi Huan came over with a sedate smile, bowing cordially, "your mother is waiting to enter with you."

"...I'm not a child..." murmured Xia Meixiang but followed along nonetheless, a small smile curving her lips.

Shi Huan slightly shook her head at her young miss before guiding her to where Second Madam stood with her husband, waiting for their daughter.

Because Xia Qi Feng was too young to behave well, he was left at home with the nursemaid and a few younger mamas to play with him. Her mother was also planning on making an excuse to leave early and go home to be with him.

"Mei'er, stick close to mother, okay?" instructed Ruan Xiuxiang, patting Xia Meixiang's hand solemnly.

"Mn, I will." Xia Meixiang smiled.

Entering the banquet their family made quite a sight, arriving in shades of green to connote their house.

The Xia Family had always been the Green Noble House, after their founder who was said to be a pure Wood spiritual root, which was rare. The Wood root naturally gave birth to the Lightning root, but very few generations of the Xia Family had a lightning spiritual root, let alone a pure one. Although for many years, the Xia Family had been considered only a wealthy family, the reawakening of the wood and lightning roots in the family reestablished their lost prestige and gained a noble title nearly ninety years ago.

Xia Meixiang followed her parents, her mannerisms graceful and light. After performing the customary bows, they took their seats across from the Chen Family.

Xia Meixiang barely suppressed her eye-roll when Chen He leered openly at her. She chose instead to peruse the audience.

This was her first time in the palace for such an event. In the eight years she had lived in the realm, she could count on one hand the number of times she came to the lavish and large Imperial Palace.