Chapter 4| Stealing one of the Protagonist's Cheats for Oneself

Later that day, after Xia Meixiang took the evening meal with her parents, she was bathed and dressed for bed, enduring the foreign act of having other people wash her body.

Burrowing under the covers of her bed, she tried to calm her embarrassment. In her past life, her parents had bathed her until she was four, this was just like that time, she reasoned to her mortified self.

Suddenly, she felt a heavy pressure on her small back. 'Are you going to bury yourself under the sheets all night?' drawled the fox.

Xia stuck her head out of the sheets to glare at the fox demon beast. "And what else would you have me do?" she bit out.

The demon beast padded from her back to sit on her pillow, staring at her with mirth in its eyes. 'To learn. To decide.'

Xia Meixiang reluctantly agreed that its plan was much more productive than her own, but she refused to admit so to the sly demon beast. Usually, she was the slyest in the room- it was unnerving to deal with someone slyer than herself.

"Alright, since you seem to know so much, why was I brought here?" Xia Meixiang asked it, crossing her legs into lotus position.

'Simple,' yawned the fox demon, 'there was a dimensional disruption in the boundaries that separate your world and our world. Your soul somehow managed to cross over during this disruption and is now trapped here in the most compatible body for it.'

Xia Meixiang frowned. Motherf*****, you dare say I am compatible with this "Xia Meixiang"?! "Can I go back?" she wanted to know.

The fox demon was silent for a moment before replying, 'It could be possible, but it would require great power. I could assist you, if you assist me.'

Xia Meixiang's frown deepened. "Help you? What do you need help with?"

The fox demon beast's eyes began to glow a bright red. The aura from its body became more potent and chaotic, whipping around the room like an invisible storm. 'This is not my true form. I am currently an incomplete guardian of the inheritance known as the Boundless Treasure of the Immortal Sovereign. I am only a sliver of my true form and lack the means to reassemble myself and the treasure.'

Xia Meixiang felt her eyebrows twitch uncontrollably. Plot god, why are you so hard to understand?! First you beat me, then you give me a gift? Is this the training of Pavlov's Dogs?

In the novel, it was true that on the grounds of the Xia Family, the protagonist met the Boundless Treasure guardian. It had been covertly dwelling within the Xia Family mountain, escaping the eyes of many in its small fox form, until it made a soul contract with the protagonist shortly after he proved himself to the Xia Patriarch and gained Xia Ling-Er as his fiancee, one of many.

To think it would seek her out instead was simply unscientific!

"The Boundless Treasure..." She crossed her arms over her nonexistence chest. "What would such a power be doing on the Xia family's grounds?" Xia Meixiang dropped all pretense of acting like a child around this artifact of great power.

The fox turned its head away. 'I was dwelling in slumber in the depths of the mountain on which this land rests, until I was alerted to a distortion by your soul's arrival.'

So I interrupted it's nap....

"BUt why would you be willing to help me? You can clearly see how young this body is, as well as its innate talent. There are countless other talents within the Xia Family- within the Fanrong Country. Why me?"

'Simple,' the fox-guised artifact replied, 'you are young, but you have quite a bit of foreknowledge about this world. You seem to catch on rather quickly. Not to mention you do not seem to be the lazy sort when it comes to hard work.'

Xia Meixiang shrugged. "Work is something I understand. But this world, I've only read about it. Even if I start 'young' it will be hard to adjust..."

'I will teach you. It would help to make our agreement run smoother.' the fox replied.

"Will we make a soul contract?" Xia Meixiang asked.

'It would be unwise. You cannot bind your soul to powerful artifacts of this world like me, or you could be trapped in this world forever.'

Xia Meixiang pondered this for a moment. Although the fox was benevolent and helpful to the protagonist in Transcending through the Immortal Heavens, it was only because of the Master-Servant soul contract the two established that allowed the protagonist to curb its actions. When unleashed, it was merciless and malevolent, a force of chaos and blood.

"...Let me think for a while...We'll talk in the morning." Xia Meixiang was nothing if not calculative and careful with agreements. It was never a good idea to job wildly into situations without first considering many angles.

The fox nodded. 'Then in the morning, we shall reach a conclusion,' the fox curled up on the pillow, leaving some room for Xia Meixiang's small head.

Burrowing once again under the covers, Xia Meixiang fell into a deep sleep, part of her expecting it all to be a dream.

*

The following morning, Xia Meixiang and the fox-guised Boundless Treasure guardian made a temporary contract between themselves, following the guardian's steps.

Along with the contract, Xia Meixiang bestowed a temporary name onto the guardian beast- BaoBao. As its name was only meant to be known by the Successor of the Boundless Treasure of the Immortal Sovereign, BaoBao could only endure such a humiliating name.

No sooner than they reached an agreement, than the Patriarch and Xia Long Yu arrived.

All the attendants of the courtyard and Xia Meixiang's parents were present. Last night, Xia Meixiang had conveyed all that had happened in the inner hall. Her mother had paled considerably, hugging Xia Meixiang closed to her bosom and scolding her against such blunt behavior in the future. Her father hadn't known whether to laugh or to cry, simply reaffirming what his wife told their daughter, fearing she would act inappropriately.

After they formally greeted Patriarch Xia, Xia Meixiang was called forward to receive her birthday gift. Xia Long Yu presented a long brocade box to his younger cousin, a repentant smile on his face. "Sorry, Mei'er, biaoge erred you yesterday."

When Xia Meixiang had thrown a temper tantrum yesterday morning, Xia Long Yu had felt remorse. After a stern talking to from his grandfather Xia Yuanlong last night, Xia Long Yu had felt doubly remorseful towards his little baiomei.

Xia Meixiang was a spoiled child, yes, but she was also naive and sheltered. She was very straightforward and trusting towards the words of people older than her, and never measured her actions.

Xia Meixiang shook her head slowly. "Yu-gege was not wrong, Mei'er was wrong. Mei'er will properly learn the family rules from now on."

Xia Meixiang expected to be living as part of the Xia Family for a long enough time. Perhaps a decade or two, before she could find all the pieces of the Boundless Treasure and restore BaoBao to his full power. To make her life much smoother, it would be easier if she learned the etiquette.

Xia Long Yu felt that this cousin of his was very earnest and cute, so he pat her on the head and coaxed her. "Mei'er, open it, ah. See if you like it."

Slowly his little cousin lifted the lid of the long brocade box to reveal a sword. It was a red rank weapon, the Sun-Circling Sword. The cold metal of the blade glistened in the light of the chamber, the hilt wrapped in a scarlet ribbon with a ruby in the hilt.

**A/N: The sword pictured on the top is essentially what it should look like. The image does not belong to me.**

Xia Meixiang marveled at the sword lying in the dark silk bed of the brocade box. In Transcending through the Immortal Heavens,

Although it was not a high-ranking weapon, it was a suitable weapon for a child who would begin learning martial arts, as it would resize itself to fit the hand of the user, as BaoBao described through their telepathic link.

It was a really useful gift, and Xia Meixiang made sure he knew as much. "Mei'er thanks Yu-biaoge, Great grandfather!" She bowed accordingly, only to feel her cousin's hand go to her shoulder and straighten her.

"Mei'er is acting too well behaved, ah. If you keep acting like this, then we aren't family," he warned her jokingly.

Xia Meixiang smiled sweetly at him. This cousin was far too gentle towards girls. His wife would rule over him one day, Xia Meixiang predicted.

Patriarch Xia said a few more words to her parents and grandfather before leaving with Xia Long Yu, having finished what he came to do.

After this was done, Xia Meixiang and her parents finally ate the morning meal. The entire meal, Xia Meixiang held two conversations seamlessly, one within her mind and the other with her parents. Soon the tension left the shoulders of the attendants and they were efficiently serving again.

BaoBao and Meixiang were discussing how best to train her body. According to BaoBao, as a transmigrator her soul was refined through passing through the dimensional distortion, so even if she only did half the effort, she would reap great benefits in cultivation.

However, a side effect of possessing a body that was not quite hers, if she rose too quickly, her body would reject her and her soul would be trapped in the Eighth Spiritual World, and "Xia Meixiang" would die then.

'It would be wise to slowly accumulate a foundation before rising, deepening the roots before growing tall,' BaoBao intoned.

Xia Meixiang agreed. She would need to be cautious. Although her growth could now be considered genius-level, if she grew too fast, she would become a prisoner of the Eighth Spiritual World. It seemed she would have to be a bit more cautious in her actions...