Chapter 23| Slapping The Thorns off a Rose

Wei Qiang Fei was smug as she read her list to the Imperial Family, her eyes full of contempt for Xia Lan Yu. How dare this slovenly slut dare to sit where she-Wei Qiang Fei- should be?!

Wei Qiang Fei was not in love with Third Prince Yun Li Tien by any means. She grew up close to him, as her uncle had been the martial tutor for the second and third prince. She had been saturated deeply with the wealth and power that being a part of the royal family had.

Finished speaking, she bowed and wished Third Prince a long life, once again hinting to their "deep past connection". She noticed the raging inferno in Xia Lan Yu's eyes when she spoke of their youth together.

Third Prince Yun Li Tien covertly soothed his betrothed, before dismissing Wei Qiang Fei cordially.

At the sight of Third Prince blatantly showing disregard for her, Wei Qiang Fei had no complicated emotions. She was very clear that her advances were largely unwanted by the Gentleman Third Prince. She found him pleasing to look at but unworthy of her affection; he lacked ambition, lacked cunning and lacked the ferocity of her lover Hou Qing.

If there was one aspect about him she craved, it was his power as a member of the Imperial family.

Yes, what she loved only, was the power of the Imperial Family. If she could have robbed away the Crown Prince Consort position or the Second Prince Consort instead, she would gladly fight those young misses.

Sadly, the Crown prince was a decade older than her. The Second Prince was born with a pretty face that repelled her. And their positions cemented them high profile brides.

Xia Meixiang noticed her cousin's paling features, and frowned. It seemed this Rose Beauty wants to be pruned earlier than intended.

The Head of the Wei Family was a weak willed man. Capable of doing nothing great with his own strengths and merits, he relied heavily on the name of his brother whom he secretly despised.

Even his position was attributed to his brother.

Staring hard at the daughter he had raised over the years, he felt as if his entire life would become one huge joke. What unsung love between two children? What forced union by royal decree?

Thinking of all the coaxing and wheeling his wife and daughter had done to get him to bring back this unlucky star, he was suddenly tired.

Wei Zhiren could only hope that the presents made the Emperor remember their long history together...

Contrary to Wei Qiang Fei's expectations, her plan to incite anger from the hot-tempered and easily provoked Xia Lan Yu failed.

Other than the tightening of her facial features and the narrowing of her eyes, she did not do anything to warrant censure.

Wei Qiang Fei could only retreat to the side after bowing again, slinking away under the cold stare of the Third Prince.

After a few words from the Emperor on the tribute that Wei Qiang Fei gave, albeit short, he gestured for Xia Lan Yu to present the gifts to Yun Li Tien.

Slowly, Xia Lan Yu made her way from the Third Prince's side to stand before the Imperial Family. "This small subject wishes you ten thousand years." She bowed deeply, before clapping abruptly.

The Xia Family bearers brought in trunks of gold, treasured silk, and chests of fine quality parchment.

Xia Long Yu strode before them, holding up the brocade box for the Qilin Lightning Needle technique. He had been guarding the carriages of gifts all night, absent from the festivities for a long time.

Wei Qiang Fei looked murderously upon the line, her hands fisting in her large sleeves. No wonder Hou Qing's men had been unable to make a mess of the gifts.

When the procession stopped, she took the box from her brother and knelt again opening the box to display the technique in its full glory.

The Third Prince rose from his seat, his eyes wide. "This... Yu'er..."

"The Qilin Lightning Needle technique, the Ace of the War God Fourth Prince, Ming Cheng!" the Second Prince finished for his brother, nodding in approval.

Who did not know that for years the Third Prince was searching for the Qilin Legacy? Not copies, not reprints, but the genuine article!

The Qilin Legacy, the collection of pure lightning based martial skills, created by the martial artist of the previous dynasty, Fourth Prince Ming Cheng. It was not extremely powerful, or noteworthy. According to records, his attacks were only so-so in strength, but god-like in agility and dexterity. Not a very popular selling point in an era that prides attack power. Only a true fan of the previous War God Prince would want it. And Yun Li Tien was one such fan.

It seemed odd to most people that the gentleman prince would have such a fascination with the War God Prince of the previous dynasty.

He had four of the set of seven, and was well on his way to owning two. However, the Qilin Lightning Needle technique had always eluded him. First it was in Penglai, then it was in the Badlands, and finally, it was outside the domain of the four kingdoms.

These years he had thought he would forever be unable to grasp it. And now his beloved fiancée presented it to him. He wanted to break protocol and hug her tightly to his chest, but knew he would only make tongues wag at her.

The Emperor stroked his beard becoming more pleased with this daughter-in-law. She was a good child, talented, but humble and observant. She came from a good family that had money but little influence, and had no ambition to rise above the heads of others. She matched his youngest well.

"A fine gift for my son." praised the Emperor.

The Empress smiled, "Li Tien is quite fortunate to have one by his side who thinks of him so deeply."

Xia Meixiang sighed contentedly as her Xia Long Yu silently made his way to his father's side. The banquet had passed without trouble. Wei Qiang Fei was incened but she could be handled soon enough. All that mattered right then was that her cousin was happy.

'Your actions are strange to me...' BaoBao commented from her sleeve, the confusion clear in the voice transmitted.

'In what way?' she asked. 'For eight years, she has cared for me like a sister. It's only fair I return the sentiment.'

At her reasoning, BaoBao fell silent, but it was not the kind of silence that satisfied Xia Meixiang.