Chapter 25| Gu Zhulin vs the Sis Con

Xia Meixiang made it as far as the adjacent garden her face hidden behind her long sleeves. She "accidentally" tripped over the cracked stone path and almost tumbled down.

Strong arms caught her before she could cry out. "Mei'er!" Xia Long Yu sighed, setting Xia Meixiang on her feet gingerly. Xia Meixiang kept her head down as she Xia Long Yu scolded her half-heartedly for running in the palace gardens. Finally, he couldn't stop himself and asked her, "Mei'er, did that Gu boy upset you?" he directly questioned.

Xia Meixiang hastily rubbed her eyes with the sleeves of her dress, exposing a red-eyed and weary expression. "Yu-gege, Young Master Gu is my fiancé. How could he bear to upset me." she hollowly stated, suppressing her urge to vomit blood.

"Mei'er," Xia Long Yu tenderly held Meixiang's hand. "You don't need to hide your pain from me. We are family. Tell me what troubles you."

Xia Meixiang shook her head slowly, exposing a wounded expression to her older doting cousin. "Yu-gege..."

Her wavering voice broke Xia Long Yu's heart. This was his baby cousin, the one he had seen grow up from infancy to now.

While Ling-Er was borne outside of the residence, Meixiang was born in the manor. Her temperament had always been spoiled, but she was the young miss of one of the richest families in Fanrong. How dare that good for nothing Gu brat look down on her? Without the engagement to Meixiang, his cultivation would not be half of what it currently was!

He inwardly cursed the blind and ignorant Gu Zhulin in his mind, and coaxed Meixiang. "Let your big brother Yu fix this."

Xie Meixiang shook her head solemnly and looked up at Long Yu with wet peach blossom eyes. "Yu-gege... Mother said that there are things in life that cannot be controlled... One of them is the feelings of others."

Long Yu felt a pang of regret for his younger cousin. Her fiancé was a philanderer, and her heart was aching. He thought of the things Meixiang had done for Lan Yu, who had a doting fiance. She had probably been envious, but she still worked hard to help her cousin obtain her love.

Long Yu consoled his dejected cousin as best he could before leading her back to the main hall and to her mother's side.

She spoke briefly with her mother, who held her face tenderly and hugged her close, regardless of the celebratory bustle around her.

Long Yu watched on from the side, a frown on his face. Suddenly, a hand clapped onto his shoulder. He looked to see his sister's fiancé and his comrade, Yun Li Tien smiling at him. "What makes my future brother in law so sour on such a good day?"

He snorted and threw off the third prince's hand. "Third Prince surely jests... How is this one sour?" he frowned.

Yun Li Tien followed his friends gaze to the second household women. "...Your cousin is sad. What happened?" He frowned.

He was well aware of how dearly Xia Meixiang was valued by her older cousins. The girl had marked talent and was pampered, but Yun Li Tien had never spoken to her.

Xia Long Yu did not answer, instead tightening his fists. "Third Prince, I thank you for your care, but our Xia Family handles their own problems." Xia Long Yu solemnly rejected the unspoken aide. "I will take my leave now."

While Wei Qiang Fei thought she was special as the "sole" remaining childhood friend to Yun Li Tien, she was simply too arrogant. Of course, as a Prince, Li Tien had several study companions, including the Wei Young Miss. There were four other young masters and misses who had accompanied him. And Xia Long Yu had been his closest companion.

Xia Long Yu, on the surface, had distanced himself from his study companion Yun Li Tien, but in truth the two were still close. He only found fault in his childhood friend for taking a fancy to his sister Lan Yu. He had specifically kept his sister from visiting the palace when Li Tien would strut around, but he still found a way to seduce his sister away...