My body feels numb, my fingers twitch as my mind races. Conscious thoughts bouncing through my skull. I'm awake? My toes begin to tingle, everything numb from the freezing sleep I was subjected to.

My eyes snap open, and I am met with the blurry sight of my eyes remaining closed for a long time. As they adjust, I am met with grey. Dull. A boring colour. The colour of the Ark.

I regain feeling in my upper half, and begin to attempt to sit up. My muscles ache, and my arms quiver. My hands tangle around cables and my eyes follow to find that they are attached to my chest. I also discover that I am wearing nothing apart from a sports bra and compression shorts.

Thank you America, for your modesty.

My hands shake as I remove the cables, disconnecting a heart monitor, sending it haywire. Sirens ring out around me, my ears sensitive to the sound. I cover my ears and clench my teeth, willing my legs to regain feeling so I can escape.

I squeeze my eyes tightly and bow my head, when the siren cuts out followed by quick, yet soft, footsteps. Female. I flinch as a small hand is placed on my shoulder and snap my eyes open.

I am met with warm brown eyes and a motherly face. Slowly, I remove my hands from my ears and loosen my jaw, planting my hands on my still, partially numb legs.

"Hey, hunny. I am Dr Abigail Griffin. Everything is okay."

I hear her words, although I find it difficult to process them. Her eyes remain on my face, not judging, or attempting to rush me.

"Can you stand?" I process this fine, although, with it unknown as to how long I have been asleep, I don't trust my voice. Instead opting to shake my head vigorously.

"Okay." She smiles. A soft smile, "I'm going to get some people in here to help you out of this cold bed. Is that okay?" I nod slightly.

Moments later some men enter the room, helping the doctor lift me off of the bed, all leaving except one who introduces himself as Jackson.

Together the pair monitor my vitals, shinning flashlights in my eyes and testing my reflexes. I'm dressed and once my limbs are almost thawed, the doctor, Abby, hands me a large box full of various notebooks and files.

One hundred files.

The reading is easy. The journals help me regain my memory, and in those books i am reminded of the eidetic memory, discovered when I was 5.

"I didn't read any of the journals, but we all know of you. It spread around the American citizens like wildfire," Abby explains in a soft voice

"You're basically a fairy tale," Jackson chuckles, "or, at least you were."

"My," I test out my voice, the sound rough and croaky, "my mother wanted me to go down there?"

"From what we know, yes. We don't know why, at the moment, but we believe that a mature and intelligent head can help them," Abby informs me.

Her eyes hold something almost unreadable. A pain that I hadn't seen before.

"Do you know of the radiation levels on the ground?" I ask.

"We haven't been able to establish contact with the ground. We're hopping that you would be able to," Abby answers.

"Seventy-six years without me and you're already trying to ship me off?" I smirk at the pair.

"I have a plan. I've organised for a pod to take me to the ground, and now, it will take the both of us."

"Why are you going to the ground?" I bluntly ask, "What purpose would you serve down there?"

Abby and Jackson both remain silent for a minute, the woman judging whether or not to take offence.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry. That was rude," I blurt, covering my mouth.

"It's fine," she snips quietly, "My daughter is down there. I need to know if she is okay."

"You're choosing your daughter over space? Many years ago, my mother chose the ground over me." I explain to her, my voice a mumble, "Dr Abby, I would be glad to go with you."

The woman lurches forward, wrapping her skinny arms around my stiff shoulders.

"Just one question," she moves back to look at me, "almost a decade ago, I had a jacket. Thick leather, black, the only piece of clothing that I cherish from the Americans. Can we find it."