Robert

*Robert's POV*

When my dear friend,  Dr. Gale called me, I was still in Maine, hiding out in the pathetic excuse they called a motel. I had just come back from a run when my phone went off from its perch on the desk. Wiping my face with my tee shirt, I hit the begin call button.

"Hello?" I asked. There was a pause before someone answered me.

"Robert." At the sound of her voice,  I knew she had an update for me on my precious girl. "I am not pleased to inform you that Paine is almost fully recovered from what you did to her." A smile broke on my fave before I could help it.

"That's great," I said, smiling for the first time in months. I couldn't wait to see her again.

"Your brother also called me." Her next sentence had me glaring at the wall. Damn my brother. Had to be a cop eh?

"So?"

"He has informed me that they have her and Justin under the protection of him and his partner. I don't think coming back will be as easy as you want it to be."

I punched the wall in fustration. Would nothing go right for me? All I freaking wanted was to hold my girl in my arms. Was that really that bad? The plaster broke off with a crakle.

"Robert?" she asked hesitantly. 

"What?" I snapped. I heard her gulp through the phone.

"Maybe it would be best....If you....ya know...leave her alone?" she suggested. I laughed bitterly. Me leave my precious Paige with him?  She must be joking. 

"Please tell me that you're not serious." She didn't answer me. "Listen her you little bitch. I've worked too hard and lost too much to let her go. I don't want anyone else. I only want her. And once I take her from the pathetic excuse of a boyfriend she has now, things will go just as I planned.  You will continue to receive the thousand dollars a month to keep quiet. Justin will be alone and pathetic. And I....I will have the only thing that I have been wanting since she stepped through my doors. Do you understand me?" I growled through clenched teeth as I seriously considered causing more damage to my stoic room. She sighed in defeat.

"Yes, sir," she mumbled.

"Good, let me know if anything else comes up," I snapped before I hung up. Then I turned and through the phone as hard as I could at the bed. It bounced off the surface and plopped onto the floor. My body was so tense. 

I literally tore my clothes off as I stormed to the shower. The physical strain was a slight relief to the aching pain he now had in his muscles. I took an extremely hot shower, trying to unsuccessfully melt away the knots in my body. I got out and dried my body off before pulling on a pair of jeans and a tee shirt.  I grabbed my bag and keys before I walked out of the room.  I was going to drive back tonight.  I was too wired to sleep, that much was painfully obvious to me. I threw my bags in the car and drove off, taking the highway south.

I'm coming, baby, I thought as the goodbye sign for the small, sad town I was in was in my rear view mirrors.  Hoy and lost jolted through me at the sight of holding my Paige in my arms once more.