#11 Snickers on Comms

This story was a request from on of my readers on Quotev.com, and is about a lactose intolerant reader, because real life happens. :P

You were sitting in the mess hall with a few of your friends at a mostly empty table. The table wasn't empty because you and your friends were weird or anything, you just usually had to work through the lunch shift.

You were a comm monitor. So when the pilots were chatting during drills, and especially during combat, you were there listening. You knew all the pilots by name, though hadn't hardly met any of them, and after listening to them deal with extremely dangerous situations, you had grown to care for them exceedingly more that you had thought you would when you signed up to join the Resistance.

You didn't usually say much, unless you needed to relay orders to them mid flight, or if one of them would tell an unusually hilarious joke and you couldn't contain your laughter. They would always kidd you for it, and then they would refocus on their mission and forget about you again.

The pilots began to recognize your voice after a few weeks and they had given you a call sign. "Snicker", because of how you would laugh when you were trying to hold in your amusement. They never asked for your real name though, and you didn't really mind that they had no idea who you were. In fact, you quite enjoyed being invisible and staying in the background of things. It made you feel safe.

You saw a group of pilots walk into the mess hall still wearing their flight suits and joking with each-other. Poe Dameron was leading the group, thought that didn't surprise you seeing as he was the C.O. You had to admit to yourself after a few weeks on the job that you were beginning to develop a slight crush on the man. Though you knew you weren't the only one.

Poe Dameron was the Resistance Poster Boy, and he definitely looked the part. Almost all of the single women on base had noticed him. You realized you didn't have much of a shot. So when the pilots came and sat at the table behind you, you didn't give it much thought and after a few minutes you practically forgot they were behind you. When they weren't laughing loudly of course.

You rejoined the conversation with you friends and were about to say something when one of them stopped you and gestured jerkily to the table at your back. You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion and turned to look when your friend leaned across the table and grabbed your shoulders holding you inplace, motioning you to just listen.

"What about the comms girl, Snickers? You could finally take her on a date." you heard Kare Kun say.

And then Snap chimed in, "Ya, then I might still have a chance to win that bet."

Poe laughed, "What bet?"

"The one I made with Iolo about how long it would take you to fall in love with Snickers."

Your eyes widened, incredulous, and you heard Poe choke on something, "What! I'm not in love with Snickers!" He cried.

And the table erupted in laughter, wolf-whistles, and calls of "Yes you are!" and "Why are you turning red then?!" joining in.

You locked eyes with you friends and he started laughing at you too, your face was turning bright red and you were stuck halfway between grinning and hiding your face in your hands in mortification.

"I've never met her, and I-" he said matter of factly as the jeering died down, before he was cut off by Iolo,

"Then why do you always grin like a dork after every mission she monitors.? And why do you keep trying to figure out how to track her down on your spare time when you think no one is watching?"

You refused to turn around and look at the conversation going on behind you, but you could imagine everyone turning to face Poe expectantly. As the silence continued to drag on a smile grew on your face, crap you were gonna laugh...