Chapter 9

Malia

Ryan:  You liked the interview?

Me:  I enjoyed Estelle.  She's funny and inquisitive but not in an obnoxiously intrusive way.  If more reporters and hosts were like her I'd give an interview. 

Ryan: On camera?

Me: Maybe.  For Estelle.  Yes. I might.

Ryan:  Based off her interview with me?

Me: Of course not.  I mean your interview was good.  But I just watched roughly 100 hours of footage. 

Ryan:  You binge watched a talk show?

Me:  Yes. She's amazing.  I'm a fan.

Ryan

I'm staring at my phone.  I'm pretty sure my mouth is gaping open like a kissie fish.  She watched 100 plus hours of footage for a talk show and now she's a fan.  I'm thinking I should be offended.  She watched fifteen minutes of my show and as far as I know never watched another episode.

Me: I think I'm a little jealous of the love fest you have going with Estelle.

Malia: Sorry. Not sorry

Me: I accept your offer to make it up to me

Malia: I didn't offer

Me: Sure you did. One of the many times you chose dare over sharing a truth.

Malia: You can't trade a non apology for a dare

Me: I can and I did. Don't be late.

I text her the address to the studio in New York and tell Christian to snag a seat for her. There's no doubt in my mind she's gonna' show up.

I've got two hours to kill before I need to head out. I make a few calls then sit back to read the script for next weeks episode.

Jesse claps me on the back. "You my friend have an interesting grasp on cultivating a friendship with the ladies."
I shake my head. He's been giving me shit about this for the last hour.
"Blackmail to get her to hang out with you. That's a new one."

"All's fair in truth or dare my man."

"Exactly how many dares does she owe you?"

"More than I owe her." I smile. I like having the advantage here.

"She's really that set on keeping her secrets? Most girls can't wait to over share their thoughts and emotions."

"Not Malia. Apparently a root canal would be more fun. I'm not kidding either. She actually told me that once."

The production assistant pops his head in to the green room to tell us we're up next. There's a camera man behind him taking some behind the scenes footage. I smile and wave and mouth the words "hi mom". I know she'll be watching when it airs.

The lights are bright even though it's eleven in the morning.  The glare making it harder to see the faces in the crowd until I take my seat. Fallon has roped us into playing a karaoke drinking game. I'm gonna' murder my PR team. One of them must have leaked my love of all things Karaoke. He asks for requests from the audience and they start yelling hits from the last three decades.