Chapter 13

Ryan

If this were another event-any other event than Malia's mother's birthday party- we'd still be hiding out in the botanical maze. But daughter duties are never done and I wouldn't dream of asking her to skip the cake cutting photo ops. I drop back and center the viewfinder of my phone on her mother. No sense wasting an opportunity. I know they have a photographer but candids hold a special place in my heart.  I find myself wishing I had my camera.  I get several snaps of the family, of Malia embracing her mom, and of her and Jax attempting to smash cake in each other's faces. Finally teaming up to get their mom
instead. Lady Jayne has tears coming out of her eyes, she's laughing so hard. I keep my finger on the shutter hoping I have some useable pics.

"Elena's dad did that every year."  I glance st the woman on my right.  "Chase the kids with cake. Then feed it to his wife. But he always missed."

"Mrs. Raleigh. Hello." I remember her from the set visit in Vancouver.

"I must say it's a surprise to see you here young man. When Elisabella said she invited you, I thought she was joking. Or that you wouldn't show up."

"I was..". I'm distracted by Malia, and Nathan who speed by me, banishing themselves to the hallway to speak in clipped tones.

"Excuse me." I follow them.

"You want to talk about appearances. Where the hell were you for the last hour?"

"Why? Did you miss me?"

"Don't be ridiculous LJ. I told you Jack Cooper would be dropping by."

"And I told you I wasn't interested in talking business today."

"Your mother wouldn't have minded if you gave him five minutes."

"I mind Nathan. Jax and I don't do business when we're with our mother. You know this."

"What I know is at some point you need to put my needs first. Stop going about this like we're not a team. I expect more from my wife. It's the least you can do since I'll be sexually frustrated whenever the wind shifts."

Her intake of breath is unmistakeable. "Non puoi essere troppo frustrato se stai incollando il tuo pigro cazzone in ogni tirocinante scatenato che ti viene in mente.

My Italian is pretty rusty. But I'm pretty sure she said something about tits, happy interns and sleepy dicks. I doubt she was paying him a compliment. From the set of his jaw I think he came to the same conclusion.

"English LJ. If you want to say something flippant. You say it in English."

"How's this for flippant? Stop telling people we're engaged. We're not even together."

"Soon as you get over this latest tantrum we will be. No sense in telling them one thing and changing it weeks later."

"You think I'm throwing a temper tantrum? Did you really just compare me to a toddler who can't have her own way?" She's standing with her arms folded.

"That's exactly what you're doing. You want me to agree to let you maintain autonomy. Live where you want. Travel like you want. As my wife you're expected to be by my side. You know family image is important to your Board of Directors."

"You're wrong. Being an obedient robot is important to them. And you just want to suck the rest of my individuality from me. Which is fine if you can do it from your own house."

"Individuality? You mean your purple hair?  The clothes you wear out to the club when you think no ones paying attention?  The random acts of rebellion. You trying to hang on to your grad school years.  Come on LJ. We're far removed from our early twenties.  Time to be an adult."