Chapter 12

Ryan

Roughly three hours ago I stepped off a flight in Alaska, and arrived at the party with ten minutes to spare.  The tea party theme is nice, and matches the garden landscape that serves as the backdrop for the event.  Malia's mom Lady Jayne (yes that's what everyone calls her) has been cordially aloof the entire time I've been here.  I've finally met the overprotective highly distrusting brother Jax and quickly realize he's looks nothing like I expected. His beach blonde hair and surfer tan doesn't scream boardroom.  Maybe that's why Malia travels so much, because he's too busy catching the latest waves on the North Shore or wherever surfers go.  Nonna Bella seems to be the happiest to see me, from the double take I received when I stepped onto the grass, I deduce no one knew she was inviting guests of her own. Elena's playing event coordinator and official activities matron, and just as Jesse predicted Nathan West is here with a few friends. I see them sizing me up and dismissing me. I'm clearly outnumbered here on their turf.

Malia looks adorable in a pale blue and nude summer dress, embellished with roses and her pill box hat.  She's sporting a nose ring and a foot tattoo I've never seen before.  My twins, titti and tatta are defying gravity in the plunging neckline and her curls are pinned behind her ears.  By mere coincidence, we sort of match.  I'm wearing a pink striped shirt, charcoal slacks and a pale ivory necktie. 

After Mrs. Santini has made a few introductions I make my way to the bar. "Bourbon.  Neat."  The bartender passes my glass and turns to the person on my right.

"You don't seem to be having any fun over here."

Elena is wearing a navy blue romper and strappy wedge sandals.  Her girls also seeking attention. Plunging necklines must be in this season. 

"I'm at a disadvantage.  Other than you, Malia, and Nonna Bella I don't know anybody here.  And I'm guessing by the lack of request for pictures and autographs, none of Lady Jane's friends are fans of the show."

She takes a sip of her champagne.  "I think Malia told them not to."

"Not to ask for pictures?"

She nods. I'm not offended. "Makes sense, I don't want to detract from her mother's special day."

"Oh no.  That's not it.  She told them not to ask, so you can just hang out and be normal for a day."

I'm touched.  I've never come right out and said it, but hanging out being normal, is something I miss. 

"You should come over and meet some people.  I promise they don't bite." 

"I've already met the lovely ladies from Nana Banco club."

"I mean age appropriate guests." I follow Elena to the table where Malia and Nathan are sitting.  There's five or six other people at the table.  Whatever Nathan's saying has them totally enthralled. 

"Mark my words.  The wedding of the century hasn't happened yet.  It's about compatibility and timing  and knowing that you and your partner are both working towards the same goals.  The best marriage is rooted in substance, not flowery words and declarations of love.  When the pheromones were off, if that's all you based it on, you're in trouble." Nathan sits back folding his arms triumphantly.  His friends start throwing out statistics and probabilities on whether or not Josh something or others marriage to his secretary is going to last.  Malia looks uncomfortable with the topic, but Nathan doesn't seem to notice. The bullshit he's spouting is the most depressing thing I've ever heard.

"That's why LJ and I haven't tied the knot yet.  We're still ironing out some details so we both get what we want."

Malis looks at Elena and quickly leaves the table.  Elena occupies her vacated seat and whispers to her cousin "You need to go after her."