Chapter 15

Ryan

I'm not sure what I expected to happen the morning after our nuptials.  A smile? Laughter?  Heartfelt declaration of devotion?  No, I'm not naive. But out of all the responses I anticipated dejection and fear were definitely not on the list. 

Malia hasn't spoken a word to me since she agreed to honor the terms of our dare, or as she's referring to it "our drunken mistake."  That was three days ago.  I accept that she probably needs time to adjust and I've been trying to give it to her. The problem is the space doesn't make her adhere to the spirit of our agreement. Aka my terms- increased contact and social interaction. That's why I've decided today is the day we break radio silence.

I'm prepared when the call goes straight to voicemail. "I'll be in DC on Saturday for a convention. I'll text you the info in case you want to catch the train down for dinner." I get a text response.

Malia: I'll see what I can do.

What she could do turns out to be a big fat nothing. She doesn't show up in DC and I don't even rate a phone call or text saying she has a better offer or a business meeting in another country. By Tuesday of the following week I'm done letting her hide.

"Baxter Global. This is Kelly. How may I help you?"

"Hello Kelly.  I'd like to speak to Ms. Ellington-Jax please."

"Ms. Jax is on her way to a meeting.  Can I take a message?"

Hell yeah she can take a message.  She can tell her to call her husband.  But I don't pass that along. 

"Can you uh let her know Ryan called and that I'll try to reach her later on this afternoon."

"Ryan?"

Im not sure if I should give my last name.  But then again I don't know how many other Ryans are calling her. I decide my middle name would be safer.

"Ryan Matthew."

"Mr. Matthew, Ms. Jax will unavailable this afternoon.  Perhaps you can try calling again towards the end of the week."

I recognize the brush off.  I've heard my management team use it when fending off up and coming actors that cold call them begging for a meeting hoping to earn representation.

"She doesn't have a break between meetings before then?"

I'm hearing fake shuffling through papers.  "No Mr. Matthew I'm sorry she doesn't.  Later on in the week would be the best time to try again."

"Ok. Thank you Kelly."

I'm staring up at the fifty seven story building that houses the Northeastern offices of Baxter Global.  I enter the pristine lobby and quickly scan the map to find the floor her office is located on.  I've got twenty five floors to decide whether or not I should even be here.  I'm not so full of myself that I think I can demand that she talks to me, but I do think our friendship as it is, was, should be? Deserves a little more respect than what it's being shown.  We both agreed drunk and sober that we'd see this dare through to the end. I'm not interested in a repeat of Rio where I get ghosted because it seems like that's were things are heading. This time I want her looking me in the eye before she pulls her disappearing act.  I enter the reception area and wait politely for someone to acknowledge me.  It doesn't take long. 

"Hello sir.  How can I help you?" A redhead with stunning hazel eyes smiles widely at me. 

"I'm here to see Ms. Ellington-Jax."

"Of course.  Do you have an appointment?"

"No. I don't.  I'm in town for such a short period of time.  I was actually hoping to catch her between meetings."